Anyone diving Canyon this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heavyjeffd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have not dove Canyon since my "return" to scuba and would like to, but would prefer to go with some folks that have done it.

If anyone is thinking about going let me know, I'd be down to go. :D

Dove there last week. Visibility was crap 2 feet at best. Tried to dive at the North Park, they only have 16 spots and if you don't rent a camp site (they were full) you can't come in and dive... at least on the weekends. Ended up diving at Comal Park on Canyon Lake. Had to hike half a mile, and down a cliff to get to the water (it is 20') low. It was not worth the hassle. Left a wedding band in the Comal River (New Braunfels).. below the 2nd tube (falls) :(

Last edited:
Dammit.

Guess I'll just hit the Comal again in the morning.

Fortunately I don't mind the shallow water. I enjoy the current, the vis and the occasional loot. :)

Hopefully we'll get a bunch of rain and all the lakes will return to normal sometime soon.

I'd like to join someone there (comal) for a dive sometime, to learn the ins/outs of the area. My stuff is in for annual service currently, i'm wondering when the heavy people concentration dies out, or when a good time to go is.

It's an extremely mellow dive, the max depth is only 12', so you are basically swimming in a giant swimming pool with fish, a current and the potential for tuber loot. :)

I'm going in the morning again, I will probably be going most weekends that I don't have a dive someplace else going on.

You definitely want to get there early. I get there around 7AM, park in Solms park (you can park very close that early), gear up at the car (make sure you have a key you can take under water with you or that is in a water proof container), lock everything in the car, go down the hill and hop in. Watch the steps, they are slicker than snot. :)

By they time you run out of air (I generally get a total of 85ish minutes out of a tank, leaving it at 400psi), it will be about 9AM assuming you got in at about 7:30 or so. Tubers and whatnot are just showing up, so you will only be out there with the occasional fisherman and other divers (some mornings their are 7 or 8 surprisingly).

It is a very mellow place to dive and I probably like it a little too much for what it is. :)

Fish were especially friendly today, I had a school of about 20 following me around wondering what the hell I was doing. :D

Back
Top Bottom