Anyone dive without a snorkel on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexMDiver:
Leave it on the boat unless the dive needs a long surface swim. The thing just gets in the way.
:shakehead

As an instructor, you ought to know better.

Haven't you ever seen a student who was away from the boat, and out of air?

Haven't you ever had a long surface swim, either to or away from the boat, and preferred to reserve your tank for underwater?

Oh, yeah, a snorkel is a real nuisance. :crossbone :profile:
But then, so are the weights, BCD, and regulator. Then, my fins hurt, too...

The snorkel is backup safety gear. It is bad form, as well as a dumb idea :11doh:, to leave it behind.

BiggDawg:

As an instructor, you ought to know better.

Haven't you ever seen a student who was away from the boat, and out of air?

As an instructor, you think the answer to that problem is to have a snorkel?

Don't tell me which agency you teach for...let me guess.

King Kong Matt:
As an instructor, you think the answer to that problem is to have a snorkel?

Don't tell me which agency you teach for...let me guess.
To be honest with you, I don't know what you mean by that.

But no, I don't "teach for SSI.":D

I would rather be with a student, or a buddy, who had a snorkel when he got in trouble on the surface, than one who got in trouble and did not have the appropriate equipment. I am sure that you thought your response was cute:shakehead, but I sure as heck am glad that I will never see you in a rescue situation.

Reading not your strong suit? No one said I was an instructor. I am just surprised that an instructor would take the position of "no snorkel."
For that matter, I am surprised that any one would, but there are certainly reckless people in every activity.

I always carry a snorkel, except when cave diving, certainly on all open water dives. I carry it on my BC and attach to my mask when needed at surface.

Gentlemen,
You may certainly post your opinions and theories regaring the use or disuse of equipment on the board, but that's where it stops.

Let us not get involved in personally attacking individuals preferences of gear configurations.

Should you desire to take issue with another member of the board regarding his/her preference of kit, then do so, but in PM's.

Thank you.

The Kraken

The koolade has destroyed my brain cells and I can't remember where my snorkle is even if I wanted to use it.

BiggDawg:
To be honest with you, I don't know what you mean by that.

But no, I don't "teach for SSI.":D

I would rather be with a student, or a buddy, who had a snorkel when he got in trouble on the surface, than one who got in trouble and did not have the appropriate equipment. I am sure that you thought your response was cute:shakehead, but I sure as heck am glad that I will never see you in a rescue situation.

Reading not your strong suit? No one said I was an instructor. I am just surprised that an instructor would take the position of "no snorkel."
For that matter, I am surprised that any one would, but there are certainly reckless people in every activity.

I don't think he was referring to "SSI".

Are you for real, or are you just stirring the pot?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there divers that not only omit snorkles from their equipment preference, but are in fact instructed to do so during their training.

I only carry mine in the bag, so if someone needs it is there, once I had my card I gave it up. It may not be right, but it is a pain to have hanging around and not being used.

My snorkel bugs the crap out of me when I'm diving. Darn thing just always seems to be getting in my way. Does anybody here just leave it on the boat?[/QUOTE]

Shaneinpenang:
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there divers that not only omit snorkles from their equipment preference, but are in fact instructed to do so during their training.

No surprise there, as the above posts would indicate such even if over 100 dives would not have drawn that to the writer's attention already.

However, the fact that many people do it doesn't make it any less dangerous, or more correct; any more than the fact that many people speed on the highway makes it any more correct or less dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom