anyone dive with a hot water bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
i was interested in getting some chemical packs to allow me to use the suit i have confortably a bit longer. this led me to a question, apart from that u can activate the pack on demand, is there any other difference from just using 1 or 2 normal hot water bottles on your back & belly? thx

Chemical packs = bad idea. Increased pressure == increased reaction rate == they burn hotter for shorter. People can and have been badly burnt as a result of this. Hot water bottle firstly runs the risk of splitting and causing burns especially if in a drysuit plus exposed to water it will cool down rapidly (1-2 mins) to ambient so be useless.

If you're cold and in a wetsuit, get a drysuit. If you're cold in a drysuit, get a thicker undersuit!

That depends on how cold the feet are.

People dive with hot water bottles, but not for warmth!
swampfox.jpg

On a serious note, id second what string said.

Chemical packs = bad idea. Increased pressure == increased reaction rate == they burn hotter for shorter. People can and have been badly burnt as a result of this. Hot water bottle firstly runs the risk of splitting and causing burns especially if in a drysuit plus exposed to water it will cool down rapidly (1-2 mins) to ambient so be useless.

If you're cold and in a wetsuit, get a drysuit. If you're cold in a drysuit, get a thicker undersuit!

You just have to be smart about it.

I use reusable heat packs that are non-toxic, just in case they break (though I've never had that happen). I got a bunch on ebay for cheap. I just activate one before I go into the water, and then drop it down my wetsuit. It doesn't keep me completely toasty, but it helps hold off the cold a bit. I've tried to activate it underwater - near impossible for me.

Just make sure that you always have a layer of neoprene between you and the heat pack. I made the mistake one of having it directly against my skin, and YES, it gets really really toasty!! I wear a hooded vest, so I usually position it in my core. It does get hard when they cool down, so be careful to position it accordingly (having a stiff heat pack on your ankle for example is EXTREMELY uncomfy).

Another option: Buy Hotsuits hotbelt wetsuit heater HKB001 with reviews at scuba.com

There is at least one heat pack type that's dive safe. The company always has a booth at the Long Beach SCUBA show. I never paid much attention to it because I don't need heat packs, but they're available.

Actually, there are different kinds of chemical packs.

The type of hand warmers that create a chemical reaction with air (don't know what they're called) will get hotter and hotter as the partial pressure of O2 increases (ie, as you go deeper). This is obviously problematic and could even lead to you getting burns.

However, the sodium acetate ones don't react with air or pressure. As you can see from the packaging, it's a closed system. The reaction temperature of these heating pads is a stable 54C and it doesn't change with depth. Obviously that's too hot to put directly on your skin but if you have them inside your drysuit in, for example a breast pocket, where it isn't contacting your skin then they work just fine for keeping your warm during the first 30min of so of a dive.

How do I know this? Because I use them. Have been for years. In the winter the water around here drops to about 2C (sometimes less) and without these heating pads it's very uncomfortable to dive at all in the winter regardless of HOW thick your undersuit is. At least with these things you can make short dives without too much discomfort. I have 4 round ones about the size of my hand. Two of them I put in the breast pockets of an old shirt that I wear over my undersuit and the other two go in the hip pockets. Just before I get in the water I activate them (which can be tricky once you have your drysuit on but it is doable) and it allows me to make dives of about 30-40min even in the dead of winter.

Obviously one of those electric vests is probably a better solution for these kinds of conditions but I can't bring myself to fork out that much money for one. So I just go with the el-cheapo approach and use the sodium acetate hand warmers instead.

R..

P.S. To be honest, I didn't think the hot-water bottle idea was too bad. I may try it this winter to see for myself how well it works.

To test the hot water bottle run a bath with tap water (10c or whatever). Put a hot water bottle in it and submerge it with a weight. See how quickly it cools down. The answer is very quickly!

i was interested in getting some chemical packs to allow me to use the suit i have confortably a bit longer. this led me to a question, apart from that u can activate the pack on demand, is there any other difference from just using 1 or 2 normal hot water bottles on your back & belly? thx

Good sodium acetate heat packs work great. They work best towards the rear of the mid body where they will warm your kidneys hence your blood flow. Use as directed with a few mm of neoprene or other material between you and the actual bladder. They react at 130F so direct contact is not a good idea. :shocked2: Good ones burn a little over an hour and support a 1 hour dive if you don't dilly dally getting in the water.

I just came across this and I am wondering when to put the sodium acetate packet in? One person said it was hard to activate in the water, so do I activate it before I zip up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom