Anyone dive the Sherman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost Diver #

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m staying at Ocean isle beach for the week, brought my gear and was thinking about diving the Sherman. I’ve heard mixed reviews.

I assume you're talking about the General Sherman a few miles off Little River (N. Myrtle Beach). If so, yes, I dived it twice 7 years ago. OK dives. 50 feet depth I believe. Was told there were sharks there but saw none. Got a nice shell or two. This was in February with Coastal Scuba.
Return question-- We may be in Myrtle again in March or so. Last time I searched up & down the coast from S. Myrtle to maybe Varnamtown, NC (where I got some very shallow shore diving). Do you know of ANY shore spot(s) in the whole area that would be say, a 2 hour drive or less? I don't mean right from the open Atlantic beach-- but backwaters, where I may get 10-15 feet depth with easy entry/parking, etc. Thanks.

Yes, I dove it about 4 years ago. It's okay. Not much left of the ship but artifacts are still being found.

The best inshore dive out of Little River with Coastal Scuba that I've done is the Charleston Tug. It sits in 60 feet of water and is very much intact with easy penetration. There are several APCs just off the bow with a rope to follow to get to them. There is usually a lot of fish around it. I've actually dove it on 2 separate occasions.

Yes I do mean the the one off little river, sorry I should have been more clear. I’ve also done the tug, it was a nice dive.
I don’t know of any good shore diving spots. I have also looked. Since ocean ises beach I’m kinda in the middle of Wilmington and Myrtle I usually end up booking with eaither coastal or aquatic Safaris, both are good operations.

Xpress watersports maybe 20 minutes south of Myrtle Beach is a good operation. Better boat.

I dove the Sherman. Good viz down to 30 feet and then a cloud bank the rest of the way. Second dive I just hang out just above the tops of the clouds. Various fish would come by. More fun then 2 ft of viz in the clouds.

Xpress watersports maybe 20 minutes south of Myrtle Beach is a good operation. Better boat.

I dove the Sherman. Good viz down to 30 feet and then a cloud bank the rest of the way. Second dive I just hang out just above the tops of the clouds. Various fish would come by. More fun then 2 ft of viz in the clouds.
When I dove it, we had pretty good viz at the bottom, maybe 20-25 feet. The first time I dove the Charleston Tug, we had around 35-40 feet of viz at the bottom. 2nd time, we had maybe 10-15 down to the main deck of the tug (around 35 fsw) but dropped to around 2 feet from there to the bottom. When diving that close in to shore, a lot depends on whether the tide is rising or falling. Better viz on a rising tide.

I was going to go out with Xpress back in 2011 but the boat didn't go. They seem pretty good and said I could find some Helmet shells diving the Heeb (sp?). Have you dive that one?

I was going to go out with Xpress back in 2011 but the boat didn't go. They seem pretty good and said I could find some Helmet shells diving the Heeb (sp?). Have you dive that one?
I dive mostly out of NC since closer. Went out with Xpress once. Did a barge and a fighter.

But then you are Canadian. Myrtle Beach is southern canada most of the year.

Still trying to find a boat going out this week. The water is pretty rough and a lot of operations are canceling. Might have to hit up fantasy lake.

Yeah, I was at OIB this past weekend. Wind was blowing constantly with white caps as far as you could see from the beach. I was thinking then I was glad I hadn't planned on diving while there.

Back
Top Bottom