Anyone dive the LongIsland Sound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nurse H2O

Registered
Reaction score
Since i live almost on top of it ,I would love to explore my own home. I know viz is a problem, but it still intrigue's me.... :goldfish:

nurse H2O:
Since i live almost on top of it ,I would love to explore my own home. I know viz is a problem, but it still intrigue's me.... :goldfish:

I lived and dived on Long Island for 15 years. Long Island Sound has a lot of shore diving. Get a copy of Dan Berg's Long Island Shore Diver

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/books_by_capt__berg.htm

It's a great book to have and has maps to most of the best beach dives.

There are also many shipwrecks in Long Island Sound but will require a boat. There are some commercial boats that go out but not that many. Orbit Marine out of Bridgeport CT runs trips to many wrecks in the sound all the time. There are other boats as well that you can contact through the Eastern Dive Boat Association website at http://www.edba.org

Good Luck ........

Thanks for the reply. I will take that advice. Actually we do have a boat. My husband has a fishing charter. There is a wreck where we fish for blues. I'm so new at diving though i dont know anything about whats down under or places to go. So that book sounds like what i need.I live near a beach, so i can go off shore also if i want to. Hopefully ill be able to get my husband in the water with me. He's a great captain. I think he'll be a great diver too. Im not even certified yet, but im planning ahead.
:newbie:

The LI shore diver book ROCKS, alot of good info, pics, maps, and descriptions of sites.
There is a few dive clubs on LI also. Check your Local Dive Shops (LDS) for groups.
If you are in or near Nassau (levittown,east meadow area) check out Tiedmans Dive shop for training or diving group info(tdconline.com) Really awesome people, training and education oriented not like alot of other shops who are all about the $$$. They have a HUGE sale the 2 days after Thanksgiving so if you are looking fo gear drop by if ya can.
You said hubby has a fishing charter, Where does your hubby dock his boat? Once you are certified maybe you and hubby may want to set up a dive charter for the day. I am sure you can find a few takers on the board
Just an Idea.

Good luck getting your C-card
and welcome to the board
WAC

Although it's not for everyone, low viz diving can be quite interesting and lightly challenging. I dive Candlewood lake in CT on a weekly basis and have found that honing my skills in a low viz enviroment makes my deep caribian and southern diving an effortless walk in the park. I have yet to dive the sound but plan on it early next season and will definatly get my hands on that book to read over the winter :scubadive

I learned how to dive as kid in Connecticut. I did my first ice dive in Candlewood Lake in a 3/8" wetsuit - the old kind that you had to powder up first to get on.
My friends and I looked for the alleged sunken town in Candlewood there but never found it - probably impssible doing shore diving anyway.
My dad had a boat in Mystic so we did a lot of diving off Long Island, Block Island, and Fisher's Island (The Race!). Those were the days of the old steel 72's. I used to fly with my uncle sometimes to Fisher's Island in his old Cessna. We would taxi on over to the beach, go spearfishing for tautog, and then fly back to Meriden.
I left Connecticut when I was 17 and never looked back though.
I was never all that enthralled with cold, low viz diving.
Now I hear there's a diveable quarry in Portland CT - cold, murky water. I dived a quarry in Thomaston and still remember hitting that thermocline.

There's a "thing" run by LIDA on December 4th. If I remember correctly though I think you will be in FLorida getting your OW that weekend. Anyway, there are 4 speakers and a party afterwards. If you are not in FL, maybe you can check it out as there will be 300 divers and their ilk there!!! LIDA Festival

I've done a few dives in the sound past 2 seasons. ScottyK pretty much exclusively does LI shore dives (cheaper than hopping on a boat)!

A few of us did Candlewood a few weeks ago.
http://www.wreckvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396&start=45
The last 2 really long posts pretty much sum it up. Wouldn't have been so bad if I only had my drysuit. We do plan on going back in the Spring. Vis is supposed to be better then. I agree with DavyJones, though. Low vis diving can be great. Rather have bad vis with some cool stuff to see down there. Than great vis, but a really boring dive.

How's LI shore diving in the winter? Now that I'm diving dry, my season runs all year.

Did I hear Candlewood Lake?We used to swim there when we lived up that way. Diving there sounds very interesting.You guys must be up around the Danbury way.

wacdiver:
The LI shore diver book ROCKS, alot of good info, pics, maps, and descriptions of sites.
There is a few dive clubs on LI also. Check your Local Dive Shops (LDS) for groups.
If you are in or near Nassau (levittown,east meadow area) check out Tiedmans Dive shop for training or diving group info(tdconline.com) Really awesome people, training and education oriented not like alot of other shops who are all about the $$$. They have a HUGE sale the 2 days after Thanksgiving so if you are looking fo gear drop by if ya can.
You said hubby has a fishing charter, Where does your hubby dock his boat? Once you are certified maybe you and hubby may want to set up a dive charter for the day. I am sure you can find a few takers on the board
Just an Idea.

Good luck getting your C-card
and welcome to the board
WAC

We have our boat in the Port Chester Marina. I spoke with someone at our Lds about a dive charter. Nobody has one around here, looks like my husband will be it. I could spend every day on the sound or just around it. It truly is a different world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom