Anyone dive the LongIsland Sound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
I learned how to dive as kid in Connecticut. I did my first ice dive in Candlewood Lake in a 3/8" wetsuit - the old kind that you had to powder up first to get on.
My friends and I looked for the alleged sunken town in Candlewood there but never found it - probably impssible doing shore diving anyway.
My dad had a boat in Mystic so we did a lot of diving off Long Island, Block Island, and Fisher's Island (The Race!). Those were the days of the old steel 72's. I used to fly with my uncle sometimes to Fisher's Island in his old Cessna. We would taxi on over to the beach, go spearfishing for tautog, and then fly back to Meriden.
I left Connecticut when I was 17 and never looked back though.
I was never all that enthralled with cold, low viz diving.
Now I hear there's a diveable quarry in Portland CT - cold, murky water. I dived a quarry in Thomaston and still remember hitting that thermocline.

ICE DIVING! that must be a guy thing.The Cessna sounds fun though.

nurse H2O:
We have our boat in the Port Chester Marina. I spoke with someone at our Lds about a dive charter. Nobody has one around here, looks like my husband will be it. I could spend every day on the sound or just around it. It truly is a different world.

If you fancy making a detour to the north shore of Long Island (see, I am making it easier for you rather than making you pick me up down by Robert Moses beach :wink:), you can count me in on the dive charter!!

Far_X:
There's a "thing" run by LIDA on December 4th. If I remember correctly though I think you will be in FLorida getting your OW that weekend. Anyway, there are 4 speakers and a party afterwards. If you are not in FL, maybe you can check it out as there will be 300 divers and their ilk there!!! LIDA Festival

For those interested, tickets are limited to 300 due to the venue, so if you want to go, you better see about getting your ticket ahead of time. (and time is running out)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom