Anyone dive in last few dry days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on down to Maui. Although there were some clouds in Kihei, it still hasn't rained here in weeks.

Did a couple nice dives at Ulua this morning. Viz was only about 30', a bit less than usual, but the low viz and cloudy skies seemed to generate a lot more feeding activity on the reef.

Shallow dive sites are all churned up and I am sure it will get worse before it gets better when you see the chocolate brown run off spreading across the ocean :bawling:

Just returned from 7 days of diving (22 dives) along the Southeast region of Oahu. Vis changed almost hourly in some locations.

I will be posting an extensive trip report soon but poor vis was not restricted to shallow dives nor was good vis restricted to deep dives. 1st dive was on the YO and vis was a mere 40 feet horizontal with a ripping 4 knot current (March 1st) while a dive at the Hawaii Loa reef gave us 80 feet plus horizontal vis just 4 days later.

All in all, the diving was good. The surface conditions were the biggest problem and on each of our 3 trips out to do wall dives around the Koko Head area, conditions were definitely not for the faint of heart. We endured some serious rocking and rolling but once below the waves, we simply enjoyed riding the surge along with all the fish, turtles, and eels. We did each of these as drift dives which worked very well.

One more highlight here - the rest of the information will be in my trip report - on almost every dive and most prevelent during the wall dives around Koko Head, we listened to the whales singing almost endlessly. This was my first time ever hearing whales while diving and it created quite a nice atmosphere. I found myself routinely peering out towards the deep expecting at any moment to have a whale or two come cruising past. Never did observe any underwater but I did see whales almost every day during boat trips to the various dive sites.

Enjoy!

NW_DiverDude (Ray)

Sorry I missed it Lisa, I just finished posting in the thread for the SB luncheon. I experienced an untimely zipper malfunction - sounds corny but it is true. The zipper on my suitcase, in which all of my dive gear gets packed, ripped apart just as I was getting ready to check out of the condo and head over for lunch (had just spoken to Catherine a short time earlier to confirm). So, I had to make a mad dash out to the international marketplace and purchase a replacement suitcase, run back to the condo and repack my gear, then get checked out of the condo. By this time it was almost 1:30 so I figured it was too late to head over to the restuarant - my loss.

Ray

Surface conditions on the back side of China Wall (ko-ko head) can be really challenging. Getting back on the boat is sometimes like riding a bucking bronco because of the wrap-around and the back wash off the vertical wall.

For those of us that don't mind that kind of ride (I do own horses by the way), it was worth it especially since we had pretty good vis compared to many of the other sites and we were always the only divers out there during each of the visits.

Specifically dove the Sea Cave, Spitting Cave, and Baboon's Nose dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom