Anyone dive double AL 53's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading with interest the threads on small doubles. I currently dive a steel HP 119 with a tank mounted AL19 pony. That is more air than I need, and also a lot of weight and a ton of negative bouyancy when full. I did the math and my current setup comes in at at 55.8 pounds empty, with a negative bouyancy of -18.4 pounds full if I include the 6 pounds in trim pouches on the opposite side of the 119 I use to balance the pony. I carry no extra weight, and am still more negatively bouyant than I would like to be when diving, as I have to carry a good amount of air in my drysuit and wing to be neutrally bouyant. I sometimes solo in a local quarry and the main consideration for me is redundancy (hence the pony). So, trying to figure out a doubles combo that would be less negative, by my calculations double AL 53's would give me enough air for the non-deco diving I do (plus some), save 6 pounds on land, and also be about 11 pounds more bouyant when full and 3.2 when empty. But...has anyone actually tried to dive double AL 53's? It is all a moot point if they don't trim well and dive like a pig. Please let me know. Thanks.

I dive double aluminum 50s, don't know of any aluminum 53s.

N

Maybe they go by 50's, but the spec chart from Catalina lists them as S53's.
S537.25 / 184.219.2 / 48825.1 / 11.446416.87.6-3.8-0.8+0.1

I've seen them online as lows as $134.99 each.

Catalina 53 cuft Aluminum Scuba Tank

Style ID: S-53Customer Rating:
View more products by CATALINASave 29%
List Price: $190.00

Our Price
$134.99

Any thoughts on my thoughts? Am I way off base here?

Try a set of older steel 72's. You may find that they will fill your needs nicely for longer dives in the 90 to 130 range.

If you look around you may find a set with bands and manifold for $200 or less.

I would snatch up a used set of 72's in a heartbeat, but no luck thus far locally. Some on ebay, but they are so heavy shipping costs make it not worthwhile. I looked at LP77's, but I really don't need 154 cuft of gas (or 144 for that matter) and they are pricey new. I looked at AL 53's and 63's, cost is reasonable. Here are my specific concerns regarding double AL 53's and 63's:

The 53's are considerably more negative when full than the 63's, and not positive when empty. That is good, I'd like not to have to carry extra weight. But the 53's are also shorter, and I am concerned that to be able to reach the manifold valves I would have to wear them so high on my back it would be a trim issue (head heavy). That is why I am asking if anyone has tried it.

Nemrod, what is your experience with the double 50's? Are they AL50's or steel 50's?

Have you considered double Faber 45's or 50's? They are longer than the stubby little aluminum tanks, and being steel have better buoyancy characteristics.

Jim

I dive double 72's and they really are a sweet set up. I have one set of LP 72's doubled, and a set of 3000PSI doubled as well. I have another LP 72 as a single.
I didn't pay anything for any of my LP 72's. All came from friends and all I had to do was hydro the cylinders. Keep looking around on the boards and craigslist. You'll find some sooner or later.
Safe Dives and Merry Christmas
Charlie
I would snatch up a used set of 72's in a heartbeat, but no luck thus far locally. Some on ebay, but they are so heavy shipping costs make it not worthwhile. I looked at LP77's, but I really don't need 154 cuft of gas (or 144 for that matter) and they are pricey new. I looked at AL 53's and 63's, cost is reasonable. Here are my specific concerns regarding double AL 53's and 63's:

The 53's are considerably more negative when full than the 63's, and not positive when empty. That is good, I'd like not to have to carry extra weight. But the 53's are also shorter, and I am concerned that to be able to reach the manifold valves I would have to wear them so high on my back it would be a trim issue (head heavy). That is why I am asking if anyone has tried it.

Nemrod, what is your experience with the double 50's? Are they AL50's or steel 50's?

I would consider double Faber 45's, you are right they look nice, but cost is very high new and no luck used so far.

I will certainly keep my eye out for steel 72's. Havent tried craigslist, will look there.

This might turn into a long term, snatch em up one at at time project. Thats OK, I am patient.

Thanks all. Merry Christmas.
Rob

Hey Rob,

My cheapest set of doubles was my 72's, and there are TONS out there. I almost bought a second set, already assembled with a DiveRite manifold for $300. As for the Faber 45's, those were a set I had always wanted, and it took me quite a while to get them together. I did not bad on them tho, I found the cylinders used for $65 each, out of hydro. I had to spring for brand new bands tho, since 5.5" bands are really hard to find. There is a guy here on the board named Victor "detroit mudpuppy" that makes them and sells them.

If you happen to go that route, fire me a message and I'll help you sort out the details for the 45's.

Jim

I would consider double Faber 45's, you are right they look nice, but cost is very high new and no luck used so far.

I will certainly keep my eye out for steel 72's. Havent tried craigslist, will look there.

This might turn into a long term, snatch em up one at at time project. Thats OK, I am patient.

Thanks all. Merry Christmas.
Rob

Back
Top Bottom