Anyone come across this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ear cups appeared in the 1956 Typhoon catalogue of British diving equipment manufacturer E. T. Skinner:
Typhoon_56_7.jpg

They fitted on the firm's diving mask straps and provided a watertight seal but were confined to surface use only. They reappeared in the company's 1966 catalogue with the same caption but also with a "British Registered Design Number":
Typhoon_1966_15_ear_cups.jpg

Ear cups (protège-oreilles) were also produced by Hurricane/Hurrisport of France in the mid-1950s:
image09.jpg

The French caption translates as follows: "EAR PROTECTORS. Rubber EAR PROTECTORS fitting all HURRICANE masks. During a dive, they eliminate the unpleasant effects of water entering the ear canals." No mention of surface use only.

And here's a 1956 Lillywhites of London catalogue image of a HURRICANE Supermatic snorkel-mask complete with the ear protectors:
1956-Supermatic.png

Ear cups/ear protectors were, at least in Europe, a 1950s and 1960s concept for surface swimmers.

I finally got out for a dive with the pro ear mask self modified with a cressi nano mask. Now that the mask properly seals and I am not constantly clearing I can say this system is a success. Time will tell how long this holds up with the modification. I also added a larger opening and grommet to the top of the hood so more air can escape, along with strap to hook a snorkel to when I do snorkeling trips. I'm looking forward to a summer full of diving in South Florida now for the first time since I ruptured my eardrum in High School!

When we did the shark dive with Emerald Charters out of Jupiter, FL, the dive master/shark feeder (I believe his name was Josh) used one of these. We asked him about it and he said that because of a condition he had, he couldn't dive without it!

My wife has a problem wherein her ears do not stop water from entering (I don't remember what the condition is called or if it even has a name) so they fill up with water every time we dive. You would think that would eliminate the need to equalize but there must be pockets of air remaining in places as she still gets pain when descending and therefore still has to try (sometimes successful, sometimes not). She used to get a bloody nose from trying so hard to equalize and then after the dive trip, water would stay in her ears for a week or more.

We bought her one of these masks a couple of years ago (right after that Jupiter shark trip) to see how it would work for her. With this system, she is trying to keep the water out of her ears and it works somewhat. It would work better if she shaved the hair from around her ears so the cups could seal better but she is not willing to go there! As a result, some water gets in but the amount is greatly reduced. She is able to equalize more reliably and usually much faster than she used to (we were always the last divers down because she was always fighting to equalize).

Since then, we have fitted the system to her own mask (because it just fits her much better) and she has continued to dive it.
The hood is necessary for her to keep the earcups in place but it's a pain to use. She has to start gearing up before everyone else since it takes her a little longer trying to get the hood and cups situated but she doesn't seem to mind as the benefits make it worth it.

Last Christmas, I bought her several types of diving earplugs to try out and am hoping that we can find an even better solution whether it be the earplugs by themselves or even in conjunction with the mask/earcups. Just waiting until we can get back in the water again so we can experiment!

Yes, making this work takes commitment. I put the docs pro plugs underneath so in the event water does get in, it will stay out of my ear while I safely ascend. I have perforated ear drums and cant go underwater in a bathtub. All I can say is start in a pool and work her way in. Maybe stick to snorkeling. I do shave my head and beard when I dive.

I bought one after I ruptured and ear drum last year. Dove again a bit earlier than generally advised...that's what drove the decision. I had no issues with it. It's a bit different and I found I had to focus on making sure I had a good seal before I got in the water but once I did, no issues with water in the ear. Worked well for me. Haven't been able to get back to diving since but I think I'll continue to use that mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom