Anyone care to show/give me some tips on edits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlwest63

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to adjust to start to make the pics look right in Photoshop.

I have tried the underwater action but I think they can look better.

Anyone care to take the attached photo and work it and tell me what they did? It would be a huge help so I would at least have an idea what to start with and what I can make it look like.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a total noob. :D

Attachments

• P7200052 (Medium).JPG
    P7200052 (Medium).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0035 (Medium).JPG
    IMAG0035 (Medium).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P7230009 (Medium).JPG
    P7230009 (Medium).JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 114
There's a filter called bring back the reds. I used it then tweaked the color balance - pushed the cyan/red towards red in the midtones, contrast and input levels slightly for each image. I didn't record the values but no more than about +10-15. For the 2nd turtle I also increased the saturation slightly somewhere in the process.

I'm not thrilled with the 2nd turtle but there doesn't seem to be much else to do with it, it's slightly monochromatic. I tried pushing the levels further but the yellow fish looked un-natural if I did.

You can get the filter from Adobe Exchange here or PM me your e-mail address and I'll mail it to you.

Attachments

• IMAG0035_(Medium).jpg
    IMAG0035_(Medium).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P7200052_(Medium).jpg
    P7200052_(Medium).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P7230009_(Medium).jpg
    P7230009_(Medium).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 85
Here's a quick effort.

Basically played with levels function and color adjustment sliders in Photoshop CS3.

Also applied sharpening and noise filters when necessary.

The one turtle shot I just couldn't find a nice color combination, but thought a nice solution was to convert to black and white by de-saturation. (just remove blue really)

Not alot of color/information to begin with, recomend a strobe or filters
(regarding filters I personally recomend magic filters: http://www.magic-filters.com/ )

I do like the composition though!

just my $.02
John

Attachments

• IMAG0035_(PS CS3).jpg
    IMAG0035_(PS CS3).jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P7230009_(B&W).JPG
    P7230009_(B&W).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 90
  • P7200052_(ps cs3).jpg
    P7200052_(ps cs3).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 80
You won't be able to get a good picture in photoshop. A color picture is 3 channels red, green and blue. Each of the channel has a different luminance value. the problem is that your pictures are missing the red channel and it's luma value.

Use a flash or a strobe...

Thanks for the replies. I like what you have been able to do with the photos. I am going to try some of these suggestions and see what happens.

if you use raw you can just adjust the white balance if you use jpeg you can still do this but you can only do it in adobe photoshop CS3 and aperture and light room this took me about 3 seconds in aperture using the white balance function. they need a little more contrast but it fixes the color hugh. i think that you can find free copy of light room but not positive

fixed_2.jpg

fixed_1.jpg

There is a free 30 day trial version of Lightroom on Adobe's site. It's a great program and pretty intuitive for the real basics. There's an awesome tutorial on how to use it over on LuminenceLandscapes.com - it's pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom