Anyone bought or sold SL cameras lately...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess this would be the worst time of year to try to sell one with vacation season mostly over, and I would think that new cameras are the focus for Xmas shopping? But then I see a DC310 with strobe currently bid to $51 so you never know...?

I've had fun with my DC500 but thinking about upgrading. New DC800, DC1000, and DC1200 are not that far apart in price with the best I see on the 8 mp @ $365/$372 with shipping vs the 12 mp available all over for $450 delivered price. SL may be bringing out a 14 or great MP camera at DEMA for all I know, but...
14 mp is only 17% more than 12 so why bother?

If a 14 comes out, it probly won't drive down the price of the 12 from the current prices of the 8s and 10s - but will cost a lot more.

Isn't 12 mp pretty much all a twice a year vacation divers needs to be messing with anyway?

16 or more MP seems like overkill to me. *
Anyone seen any better deals on 12s, or hot deals on 8s or 10s?

Anyone sold any cameras lately?

* I read an article once that anything over 3 MP is overkill. I don't agree, but then I have done some comparisons - like shooting a scene with my 10 MP Canon and my 1 MP cell in good light. Big difference in downloaded pics, but by the time I get thru with my photoshop work, then reduce resolution for emails - hardly noticeable.

16MP on a point and shoot sized sensor? No thanks!

I wouldn't bother with a point and shoot camera with more than 12mp. For my money, 10 is probably the better number with the less expensive cameras - and yes a SeaLife is a cheap camera. Nothing wrong with it (I have a DC1200, myself) but the 12MP in my DC1200 isn't the same as the 12MP in my Nikon D300s.

It's the waterproof armour that's the cool thing with the DC1200. That and the firmwear changes that make it easy to set up for underwater colour balance...

Just not in the same league as a DSLR with a larger sensor as you know.

Just about anything is good enough for web posting (especially in a small size, or low res), making a nice print is a different thing altogether!

coop

I recently purchased some DC1200's and am still learning the menu selections.. I think they are fairly priced for what you are getting. I hope they stand up to travel and use in the tropics...

Cheers,
Roger

Don,
I've got a 1200 on order at the LDS, going to see what kind of deal I can get
unloading all the 500 stuff I've collected. Way too much stuff ... Three of the DC500's
were purchased for around $150 or less, one housing for $45 and it doesn't leak, Ebay.
I kept thinking I would flood one or two, but so far it hasn't happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom