Anyone been to Wakatobi in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone been to Wakatobi in Indonesia?

Optiquatics just announced they are holding an U/W photo shootout there and last year Ken Knezick's travel group took a trip there.
The photos look great as it appears to have all the benefits of Sipadan's house reef but with more diversity. Despite the situation in Bali, I'd like to go and would appreciate any reviews.

Wakatobi Resort - click here

Hi

Yes, I've definitely been there, since I've been living in Indonesia. I've LOADS to say about it, would love to tell you about it, but there is a lot to say, so maybe we should do that by email...

I can tell you about

?Accomodation
?Diving
?Snorkelling
?Food
?Weather
?How to get there
?ALL the problems you'll encounter before finding paradise, and of course how to avoid them
?The language (I speak Indonesian and a tiny bit of Bahasa Kaledupa... the local language...)

If you want, I'll prepare a little text on how it all went for me, since this is really a STRANGE place (because of it being a Marine park, but also... Oh wait, I'll tell you all that by email too) , as well as a very, very beautiful one. I wish I had some info on the place before I got there myself...

I'm Pming you my email.

Waiting to hear from you,

Cheers

Another Wakatobi Wannabe

Hi RSDiver and Amanda,

Also perked up at the sight of Ken Knezick's next group tour to Wakatobi in Sept, 2003 and immediately went webbing to find out more. Looks pretty great to me!
Could I get in on the conversation, Amanda? Would love to get your or any other Wakatobi veteran's input.

Thanks much

I know Ken, and I am certain that he will go all out to make sure that you have a great trip.

Report's been posted in a new thread, I thought it was better- :)

Cheers to all, don't hesitate to post any answers or further questions.

leadweight,
Ken has been to Wakatobi several years in a row.
It sure seems like it has everything that Sipadan has and more.

If I understand correctly, Amanda has been to Wallacea in Banggai, Central Sulawesi - *click to see map*.
On that map Banggai is on the right side, center.
Wakatobi is on the bottom, right near the mariner's 4 pointed star labeled "Tukang Besi Island" (which actually shows 4 islands).

The underwater photos show that both areas are nice

No, it's not because I love Wallacea Dive Cruise that it means I get confused talking about places !!! The place I've been is Hoga, in the Wakatobi zone, where there is a center called Wallacea.

Hello All,
This is great as I wanted to post the same question.

Amanda,
I would like to lead a group to Wakatobi and would really appreciate all that wonderful information also. It looks like you created a link and have the info on another thread but I can't find it? (a little new at navigating this site).

Thanks for your time

Can you say "pastry chef" ? Wakatobi is better than Sipadan (which isn't as good as it was a few years ago - fewer fish & some coral damage).

Hi JCCLINK,
Now you have my interest as I'm leading a group trip to Sipadan in May. We are actually staying at SMART resort in Mabul but I was really looking forward to diving Sipadan. Can you fill me in a little better? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom