Anyone been to Ko Lanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The operators on Koh Lanta mostly dive around the Phi Phi dives site. IE Bida Noc, Bida Nai and others. I think it's a long trip by boat. I've been there but never dived there. The island is a lot of fun though. I hear it's developing there fast. Check it out before it gets overrun. Go to the caves too.

Visited a couple of years ago. Nice place relatively laid back (at least compared to PHuket...); had a very good time.

With regards to diving as Jiveturkey mentioned it is all about long boat rides - Note you can visit Hin Daeng and Hin Muang from Koh Lanta and these are beautiful sites (but beware that a slow boat takes more than 3 hours to get you there...)

scubasassy:
Thinking about visiting Ko Lanta in January and wanted info on diving,good place to stay,etc.

Phi Phi is definitely the spot for diving, bida nok and bida nai. beautiful. about 1hr ferry or so from Koh Lanta. Koh Lanta is very laid back and quiet. I stayed at Bee Bees, funky artsy little bungalows on stilts and really cool owners. Nice spot if you want to chill out.

scubasassy:
Thinking about visiting Ko Lanta in January and wanted info on diving,good place to stay,etc.

I have been there twice (Nov. 2001, Nov. 2002) for a week each just for diving and liked it a lot. I dived with Ko Lanta Diving Center http://www.kolantadivingcenter.com/ located in Ban Saladan in the North (like all the other operators, I think.) They have quite a fast boat, reaching Hin Daeng/Hin Muag (you must dive there!) in about 1.5 hours if I remember correctly. The Ko Ha islands were also very nice as well as Fantasy Rock.

As the others said, very laid back atmosphere and very few peple in comparison to Phi Phi island.

I stayed with D.R. Lanta Resort and Southern Lanta Resort (preferred the first but both were ok).

I stayed on Koh Lanta for a few days three years ago, but waited to do my diving until I reached Koh Phi Phi which was my next stop. While on Koh Lanta, I stayed at a slightly remote resort owned by friends of people I had befriended in Krabi. It was relaxing, spent much of the time snorkeling and reading. From my own "experience," I'd recommend Phi Phi due to shorter boat trips to dive sites.

Dr. Bill

gabyne:
I have been there twice (Nov. 2001, Nov. 2002) for a week each just for diving and liked it a lot. I dived with Ko Lanta Diving Center http://www.kolantadivingcenter.com/ located in Ban Saladan in the North (like all the other operators, I think.) They have quite a fast boat, reaching Hin Daeng/Hin Muag (you must dive there!) in about 1.5 hours if I remember correctly. The Ko Ha islands were also very nice as well as Fantasy Rock.

As the others said, very laid back atmosphere and very few peple in comparison to Phi Phi island.

I stayed with D.R. Lanta Resort and Southern Lanta Resort (preferred the first but both were ok).

I totally agree with gabyne. Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are the best reasons to dive from Lanta. Also worth diving are Koh Rok (Nok & Yai) Koh Ngai & Koh Ha. I got lucky last January and got an uncommon overnight dive trip (staying at a hotel on one of these smaller islands... can't remember which) which visited these islands. I think it was Koh Lanta Dive Center too but it was on their big boat which was no speed boat but was indeed comfortable and spacious.

Lanta is really laid back and, when I was there, doesn't have any seedy girly bars. Give Phi-Phi a miss... Its in a sad state and I'll never go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom