anyone been to a Total Immersion workshop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm working through the book, but it sure is slow. It's also tough to do at the Y, when there are others trying to lap swim.

Is it something that eventually comes with time? Is the book enough if I keep at it?

There's a weekend workshop next month that's relatively close, but it's $445. Seems a bit much if I can get it from the book.

Any input?

Thanks.

Did you go to it? I just bought the book and am slowly working through it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I would like to drop from 10 to 6 or 7 minutes for 400 yds. I know it's going to take a while but I'm going to swim daily with a dive buddy trying to get our times down.

Thanks, Rob

I thought the book was awesome! The class seems pretty pricey to me, but I bet it would be worth every penny

nazgul810:
Did you go to it? I just bought the book and am slowly working through it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I would like to drop from 10 to 6 or 7 minutes for 400 yds. I know it's going to take a while but I'm going to swim daily with a dive buddy trying to get our times down.
I did not go to the seminar. Unemployment has hit home, so I'm counting pennies. Sadly, there's yet another one in the area next weekend, but I'd *love* to go.

I just managed to break 10 minutes (9:45 actually) for my 400 yds. There must be a way to drop more, and I can't seem to figure it out.

liberato:
I think the DVD is a better value.
For me, not so. I find the camera angels tough and the explanation of what's going on lacking and/or difficult to follow.

Kat:
Is that the one where you swim with fist gloves?
Yes. Any personal experience with them? I understand the reasoning behind them, but don't feel I need to work on that particular aspect of my technique.

baitedstorm:
The class seems pretty pricey to me, but I bet it would be worth every penny.
I agree. And it will happen. Just not this go-around.

eab:
I just managed to break 10 minutes (9:45 actually) for my 400 yds. There must be a way to drop more, and I can't seem to figure it out.

Is there a Masters Swimming program at your YMCA? Most of the Masters coaches that I've met are fairly knowledgable about stroke techniques. And the practices would be a big help to you if you've got a specific goal you're trying to reach (like getting your 400 time down).
Also, there's a great book called "Swimming Past 50" (by Mel Goldstein & Dave Tanner). Even if you aren't yet a geezer (like me) there are some good training tips.

Larry

el ridgeo:
Is there a Masters Swimming program at your YMCA? Most of the Masters coaches that I've met are fairly knowledgable about stroke techniques. And the practices would be a big help to you if you've got a specific goal you're trying to reach (like getting your 400 time down).
Also, there's a great book called "Swimming Past 50" (by Mel Goldstein & Dave Tanner). Even if you aren't yet a geezer (like me) there are some good training tips.

Larry

Larry,

Would you know if the Masters Swimming program follows the Total Immersion philosophy? Or is it perhaps coach dependent? I'm already a member of a YMCA, and they do have a Masters program, so that's a possibility.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Fortunately I'm not "yet a geezer", but am always willing to learn. I'll check it out.

Eileen

The Masters coaches I've talked with were familiar with Total Immersion, but since I've never seen the DVD or attended a workshop I can't really say if their practices follow the T.I. philosophy. I would imagine that they are similar.

http://swimming.about.com/ has a lot of good information. If you do a search on total immersion it will return quite a few articles relating to training and total immersion concepts.

el ridgeo:
http://swimming.about.com/ has a lot of good information. If you do a search on total immersion it will return quite a few articles relating to training and total immersion concepts.

Thanks! I'll check that out too. I *hate* being passed when I swim.

Eileen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom