Anyone been on the SailJuliet lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to follow up, I ended up booking with the MV/Spree instead. ONLY because they have a 3 day Dry Tortugas/Vandenberg that is reef heavy in Oct and the dates were ideal for me. The Juliet Dry T trip coming up was a pretty even split of wreck/reef and the dates were not as good. Juliet also has a Bahama trip in Nov that was tempting but very near the holiday.
I will definitely consider them for future dives though.

Just to follow up, I ended up booking with the MV/Spree instead. ONLY because they have a 3 day Dry Tortugas/Vandenberg that is reef heavy in Oct and the dates were ideal for me. The Juliet Dry T trip coming up was a pretty even split of wreck/reef and the dates were not as good. Juliet also has a Bahama trip in Nov that was tempting but very near the holiday.
I will definitely consider them for future dives though.

Pat S, that trip (on the Spree) has a Juliet crewmember on it, one who works for both Spree and Juliet. Remind me when you board, and I will make an introduction. She will give you all the skinny on both boats. Welcome aboard.

Frank

Awesome. Can't wait to join you guys and I'm excited to see the Spree. I've even convinced one other friend to join me so far.

Awesome. Can't wait to join you guys and I'm excited to see the Spree. I've even convinced one other friend to join me so far.

Have great time and please post a trip report

We'll be on the Juliet this coming weekend(Oct 16-22). Our 1st liveaboard and looking forward to a great time leaving out of Miami and going down to Key West. It looks like spots are open but the boat has to go regaurdless due to the next trip leaving out of Key West. I'll try to update upon return.

Ana, I've 'done' both boats (Juliet-Bahamas-summer '05) and SPREE here in the TX Flower Gardens MANY times and although I enjoyed all my trips on each boat, overall I prefer SPREE. JULIET only carries 12 divers max, but JULIET is an old (1970) converted boat (as in never designed for scuba originally) and is very cramped, I'd say there is more useful space per passenger on SPREE......navigating/climbing around JULIET below deck is like being crew on a U-boat....very tight! Also the SPREE dive deck is under permanent shade, meaning no baking in the sun or being in the rain/elements like JULIET's completely unprotected deck (unless JULIET erects it's 'tarp') SPREE is also a lot more camera friendly. (dedicated/protected camera area)JULIET is also much slower, although sailboats do look kinda romantic.

I'm not anti-JULIET (JULIET was a great trip and it was my very first liveaboard trip, which got me hooked on liveaboards) but I think SPREE is a better designed scuba dive boat. Also Capt. Frank/Melanie of SPREE doesn't babysit divers, once you demonstrate to them you do have a 'clue' about diving, they will cut you a lot of slack, their only real constraints on divers were don't bust their max depth limits, and don't run out of air......you don't even have to get back onboard with 500 psi or anything like that, if you can take a breath off your reg after you exit the water, then your 'golden'.

Karl

Thank you for this informative post. It hits on two things I enjoy when on the water. Roomy and shaded.

I booked onto the Juliet for June 2012 after reading posts here for myself and non diving husband, main reason as it leaves from downtown Miami. I work downtown and go visit Juliet on Fridays at lunchtime. Can hardly wait for next year......my first liveaboard. Love the 3 masted schooner idea and only 12 passengers. Perfect.

ccxx I was on the Juliet in May and I know exactly where the Juliet docks, pretty cool spot.

You and your husband will have a great time. Please do a trip report

If I can make it happen I'd like to do a third trip on Juliet in 2012.

I've visited the Juliet several times lately during my lunchtime when she's in Fridays.
From the looks of the food being carried onboard for the next trip, no one will be going hungry! I was impressed.
Even when they are cleaning up the boat and busy with preparations, the crew are friendly and informative.

Not having to pay airfare and being right out of Miami is a plus for me. I plan on just schlepping my dive bag on the Metrorail then taking the Metromover to Bayfront Park. Just the looks of the Juliet are enough to pique my interest.....sailing and diving on a 3 masted schooner.....wow, pure heaven.

<*)))>< ... love your signature.....

I enjoyed a Dry Tortuga run on Juliet about 2 years ago, and went to the Bahamas via Miami less than a year ago. John captained the first trip, Rudy captained the second. Both were excellent trips. The DT trip left from Key West, which is a bit of a drive from where I live, but not too bad. The Bahamas trip went out of Miami and a friend dropped me off. I have chartered Juliet for a week in July, 2012, heading to the Bahamas with my loved ones. I have also been on Aggressor and Nekton liveaboards. All have their better and worse points. (Especially Nekton!! when it comes to worse points, but now they are gone) I am excited for our July trip! Juliet and it's crew are awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom