Anyone been on Paradise Dancer in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have you looked into flying into kuala lumpur and then to manado with Air Asia? Will be cheaper than Silk

Air Asia from Kuala Lumpur to Manado is $150 ea by the time you add their fees, etc. That and getting around KL and between terminals, not really much gain, is it?

i paid $23 from Manado to KL, all fees included 3 weeks ago.

Will also depend on cost from LA to KL or Sing.. no idea what differences those flights may have

i paid $23 from Manado to KL, all fees included 3 weeks ago.

Will also depend on cost from LA to KL or Sing.. no idea what differences those flights may have

Cheapest I've seen, when I've looked (and when we booked), is $50 one way plus fees, ending up at $150 round trip. But then we also paid an upgrade in the luggage fee so we could pack in a few more pounds of gear. First time on Air Asia, so we're not real familar with their "routine", if they have one.

Could anyone tell me why an 11 night cruise on the Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer in North Sulawesi for 2010 is going to cost $4750? That's an increase of $550 more than what it will cost this year ($4200) to do the same itinerary. That seems extremely expensive. It comes out to $431 per night. I've been on ten liveaboards and never even come close to paying that much. Is the boat that nice and is it worth it? The itinerary does cover Lembeh, Bangka, Bunaken and Sangihe.

I had a friend who went on the Paradise dancer last fall. He loved the boat, great food, rooms etc.....But the dive staff (new) was not familiar with the dive sites...thus he was a little disappointed in the diving.

Was on PD this December for 11 days. Very, very nice boat. The rooms are large and comfortable. Lots of thought went into designing the boat to be a luxury dive experience. There is lots of space on this boat to spread out in and the on board experience was very good. There were lots of "wow" moments as we were being shown to our rooms. The captain's cabin is something to see and would make a great "trip of a lifetime" for a diving couple.

The diving was good but not great. The staff were still working out the best places to dive so I suspect the diving will only get better.

Worth it? After spending the time and $ to travel half way around the world I liked the added level of comfort. The extra $ over and above what I would have spent on another boat with more standard acccomodation was small when compared with the total cost of the trip. Probably wouldn't do it again - so many other places to go - but it was a special trip and a special boat. That is what you are paying for - not the diving. I would guess the diving will be the same or better on any other boat in the same area.

Was on PD this December for 11 days. Very, very nice boat. The rooms are large and comfortable. Lots of thought went into designing the boat to be a luxury dive experience. There is lots of space on this boat to spread out in and the on board experience was very good. There were lots of "wow" moments as we were being shown to our rooms. The captain's cabin is something to see and would make a great "trip of a lifetime" for a diving couple.

The diving was good but not great. The staff were still working out the best places to dive so I suspect the diving will only get better.

Worth it? After spending the time and $ to travel half way around the world I liked the added level of comfort. The extra $ over and above what I would have spent on another boat with more standard acccomodation was small when compared with the total cost of the trip. Probably wouldn't do it again - so many other places to go - but it was a special trip and a special boat. That is what you are paying for - not the diving. I would guess the diving will be the same or better on any other boat in the same area.

What you have said is pretty much what my friend said about the boat. Except "the diving will be pretty much the same or better on any other boat" read about the Seven Seas they have one of the finest dive staffs of any of the boats. I have been to Raja Ampat-Papua area twice last year. Stayed at the Sorido resort. The finest diving I have done anywhere in the world and going back in November.

Shoulda just posted this link earlier ...

Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait

Like I said, no frills! No AC (cabins are all on deck with ventilation), and he "might" have hot water installed and operating by October. They do no advertising in the US, and most divers are European. I couldn't find any trip reports online, at least no one who put a report on an English website. So he gave me a couple names of USA passengers, who I emailed, and got good reports back.

The website talks about trips to the Togians and Banggai, but he had so much trouble with reliable flights there that right now he's only doing the itineraries shown on the "Cruise Schedule" page.

If you scroll to the bottom of the home page, there's a link to a video about the operation. About 36 dives (+/-) if weather and everything else cooperates. There are three of us aboard the Oct 19 trip.

ahhhh, that boat! i was wondering which one you were talking about.
I have seen it around but never been close enough to see what its like

This boat is owned by a French guy and has got excellent reviews on a french website. In summary, people are really happy of the organisation of the dives, the dives sites and the friendliness and efficiency of the crew. The boat is smaller than the PD (max 10 divers) and does not have AC, but it looks very confortable nevertheless. I haven't done this cruise myself, but might in the future if I can get the time in my busy diving holidays schedule (so many places, so little time :wink:

This boat is owned by a French guy and has got excellent reviews on a french website. In summary, people are really happy of the organisation of the dives, the dives sites and the friendliness and efficiency of the crew. The boat is smaller than the PD (max 10 divers) and does not have AC, but it looks very confortable nevertheless. I haven't done this cruise myself, but might in the future if I can get the time in my busy diving holidays schedule (so many places, so little time :wink:

Malene - Always nice to hear another positive opinion ... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom