Anyone been on Paradise Dancer in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curiousgeorgie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could anyone tell me why an 11 night cruise on the Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer in North Sulawesi for 2010 is going to cost $4750? That's an increase of $550 more than what it will cost this year ($4200) to do the same itinerary. That seems extremely expensive. It comes out to $431 per night. I've been on ten liveaboards and never even come close to paying that much. Is the boat that nice and is it worth it? The itinerary does cover Lembeh, Bangka, Bunaken and Sangihe.

What is it that is important to you on a liveaboard? The diving? Creature comforts? We're doing the same itinerary, 11 nights, Lembeh/Bangka/Sangihe/Bunaken/Lembeh, this October for under $200 a night. I could get used to all the comforts offered on a $400+/night liveaboard, but there's no way that's going to happen. I'll bet we'll enjoy the diving just as much though! :wink:

High Desert - we are also in Colorado and are mulling Lembeh prices for the Fall - 2 weeks in Lembeh with air, tips, night in SIN, etc etc is $5,000-ish PP. Are you on a liveaboard? Which one? Air not so bad right now on Singapore Air - $1200 LAX-Manado - have seen it alot higher. Tell me how you are doing this!! Cheers, Nikki

High Desert - we are also in Colorado and are mulling Lembeh prices for the Fall - 2 weeks in Lembeh with air, tips, night in SIN, etc etc is $5,000-ish PP. Are you on a liveaboard? Which one? Air not so bad right now on Singapore Air - $1200 LAX-Manado - have seen it alot higher. Tell me how you are doing this!! Cheers, Nikki

PM sent ...

Once asked about the same question to the a manager of a far too expensive resort. His answer:
But we are very exclusive. So I asked, what makes you that exclusive? OUR PRICE!

Once asked about the same question to the a manager of a far too expensive resort. His answer:
But we are very exclusive. So I asked, what makes you that exclusive? OUR PRICE!

ha ha .. this remind me when we traveled to bali by car 10 years ago frm jakarta, did not make any reservation (hotel occupancy was very low at that time). We stayed in 5* hotel in Nusadua for special local price net Rp. 400,000 (approx. USD 30 at that time). When visited ubud, we found a nice, small, tranguil resort - i liked the ambience; thinking to move; so we stopped and ask for rate and expecting not more than Rp. 300,000.
The reception: our rate 600 plus tax sir ...
"my goodness!! 600 thousand rupee !!! what bloody expensive resort" I thought.
and he continued:
"but for local this rate is net sir! six hundred US dollar only per night!!
"many celebrities including Mick jagger love our exclusive resort sir...."

Shoulda just posted this link earlier ...

Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait

Like I said, no frills! No AC (cabins are all on deck with ventilation), and he "might" have hot water installed and operating by October. They do no advertising in the US, and most divers are European. I couldn't find any trip reports online, at least no one who put a report on an English website. So he gave me a couple names of USA passengers, who I emailed, and got good reports back.

The website talks about trips to the Togians and Banggai, but he had so much trouble with reliable flights there that right now he's only doing the itineraries shown on the "Cruise Schedule" page.

If you scroll to the bottom of the home page, there's a link to a video about the operation. About 36 dives (+/-) if weather and everything else cooperates. There are three of us aboard the Oct 19 trip.

have you looked into flying into kuala lumpur and then to manado with Air Asia?

Will be cheaper than Silk

Shoulda just posted this link earlier ...

Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait

Like I said, no frills! No AC (cabins are all on deck with ventilation), and he "might" have hot water installed and operating by October. They do no advertising in the US, and most divers are European. I couldn't find any trip reports online, at least no one who put a report on an English website. So he gave me a couple names of USA passengers, who I emailed, and got good reports back.

The website talks about trips to the Togians and Banggai, but he had so much trouble with reliable flights there that right now he's only doing the itineraries shown on the "Cruise Schedule" page.

If you scroll to the bottom of the home page, there's a link to a video about the operation. 34-36 dives, if weather and everything else cooperates. There are three of us aboard the Oct 19 trip.
ahhhh, that boat! i was wondering which one you were talking about.
I have seen it around but never been close enough to see what its like

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom