Anybody up for pt. Lobos on Sunday Dec 20th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
i woul love to be there around 9am if some one up for it.

We were at Lobos today and the vis was exceptional. I could see the bottom in Whalers and outside the vis was easily 50-60'. Super tired, and still have all my gear and the boat to deal with tomorrow morning. Have fun!

Yep, the visibility was awesome ~ 10AM. Seen bunch of leopard sharks and seals. Avesome boat skills Peter. we were the two chubby looking guys. Cheers.

Yep, the visibility was awesome ~ 10AM. Seen bunch of leopard sharks and seals. Avesome boat skills Peter. we were the two chubby looking guys. Cheers.
Hey now I didn't sink the boat this time :wink:

You were there Saturday too? Where were you parked Saturday? Did we chat?

What happened after 10:00 am to the vis?

Wish I would have seen the Leopard Sharks :( We did see an Otter over by Blue Fish Cove.

@ 1pm dive sun is at 45 degree, so it has a lot more to go through and vis just drops because of no light

Hi Andrew,

Glad you made it out to Lobos and enjoyed the good vis. I dove with Peter on Saturday & it was unbelievably beautiful! Thanks again Peter & Erik!

@ 1pm dive sun is at 45 degree, so it has a lot more to go through and vis just drops because of no light

Nitpick: FWIW, at the (Northern Hemisphere) winter solstice, or one day before in this case, the sun's elevation at local noon will be 90 - (latitude in deg. (call it 36.5 for Lobos) - 23.5 (close enough to the angle of the ecliptic), or right around 30 degrees of elevation at Lobos. Indeed, for any given latitude in the northern hemisphere the sun's maximum elevation angle will vary between 90 - (lat. in degrees) + 23.5 (summer solstice) and 90 - lat. in degrees - 23.5 (winter solstice), being exactly equal to 90 - (lat. in degrees) on the vernal and autumnal equinoxes.

At 1 pm the sun's elevation will be higher than at 10 a.m., as it's closer to noon, so the light will penetrate further, not less. I'm too lazy to run the numbers, but expect the difference in this case would be fairly small.

Guy (used to design photovoltaic installations) :dork2:

Hi Andrew,

Didn't see many divers there yesterday. Sorry we missed you. We were parked close to the bathrooms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom