Anybody in Monterey today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am reading your posts and checking out the sea conditions, but I realize I have no idea what I am looking for.

So far I only had a few dives around monterey and they were all with local guys so I never bothered myself with checking the weather...

I see it says monday the waves gonna be about 5 feet... how low do I want them to be?? (ya sure I know zero is good :) )

Thanks,

Attachments

• fc_summary.png
    fc_summary.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 22
Sorry, I didn't check the board this weekend. I popped down Friday for AOW checkout dives this weekend. The Saturday dives were canned because vis wasn't worth it. On Sunday though, the Escapade tucked us into a cove down in Carmel where we had 30ish feet of vis. Awesome diving. Coming back into the bay though, the water being churned up by the motors was an icky brown. I think conditions most places were pretty awful.

I see it says monday the waves gonna be about 5 feet... how low do I want them to be?? (ya sure I know zero is good :) )

It never goes to zero. Monterey is on the end of the longest fetch (stretch of open
ocean in the world). Five is pertty good. My personal max is eight feet. Note that the
energy content is proportional to the (IIRC) third power of the height so an 8' wave
has four times more energy than a 5' wave. And interval counts too -- the longer
the interval the deeper it reaches.

I drove down Friday to go out on the Monterey Express on Saturday. Like a goof I gave them my home number and not my cell. Good thing another person in the group called and told me. That way I got to sleep in. I did consider beach diving at the Breakwater but heard about the vis and canned it. Got the Motel to credit the next night stay and drove home. Yuck!

I drove down Friday to go out on the Monterey Express on Saturday. Like a goof I gave them my home number and not my cell. Good thing another person in the group called and told me. That way I got to sleep in. I did consider beach diving at the Breakwater but heard about the vis and canned it. Got the Motel to credit the next night stay and drove home. Yuck!

I assume that means the Express canceled on Saturday? I heard a lot of boats did that.

We saw the Express on Sunday in Carmel a few hundred yards from where we were diving. We had 30 feet of vis at that spot, and zero surge. I am so glad our captain (and apparently the Express) knew where to find good diving on such a mediocre day.

If it goes down to zero, that means Chuck Tribolet has quit his job and the whole coast of Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur will be filled with divers who just got fired for calling in sick because their boss is also diving and the CEO who takes care of the bosses fired them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom