Anybody else gonna sink some Christmas trees??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've known people to do it to create good crappie fishing spots
Although at Lake Ray Roberts it is illegal to sink your old x-mas trees.. I believe it is illegal in all TPW lakes. If everybody that ever crappie fished the lake threw in their trees every year, it wouldn't take long to fill the lake with trash..good luck pulling a Carolina Rig through all that.

However in a scuba park, it would create some good habitat. Just check with the proper authorities...or do it after the sun goes down. :wink:

Ray Roberts is a Corps of Engineers lake. TPWD doesn't build lakes.

Sinking trees makes great fish habitat. To improve the trees trim some of the internal branches to give interior holes. Some trees have too many branches.

Cinder bolcks to trees... Dunno. I always did it by trial and error. If it didn't sink, I added a new block. I've seen people mix up some sackcrete put in a 5lb coffee can and drop the trunk in the wet concrete. Instant anchor, and the tree stands up.

Have fun,

TwoBit

Yeah...when we first started diving in our local spot, we spent alot of time dragging out the trash. I can see if you have a barren lakebed, it could be good for habitat and such.

Guess I just ass-u-me-ed all lakes had plenty of trees and such in and around it.

We did the same up here in the GWN. We used about a 100lb block and shackled two tree ends to each block. So we started with a block and arrached one tree end to it. At the other end of the tree we set in another block, shackled that end too it and the 1st end of the next tree, and so on .....we put in four or five trees altogether. We put them in a zigzag pattern in about 15 ft of 0 vis water...............Makes a great spawning area for certain breeds of fish........

Army Core of Eng. is what I was thinking..sorry. Lewisville lake, I believe, has the same rules...we used to duck hunt on the north side on the Army Core land until the subdivisions moved in. Thanks for the clarification Tom.

It's true the Crappie must be filled with the Christmas spirit...'cause they love the old x-mas trees. One year my old hunting buddy collected xmas trees from everybody he knew and loaded his pontoon down with them to dump in Lake Ray Roberts and then mark the location with his GPS...presto! our own secret crappie fishin' spot.

Zagnut once bubbled...

It's true the Crappie must be filled with the Christmas spirit...'cause they love the old x-mas trees. One year my old hunting buddy collected xmas trees from everybody he knew and loaded his pontoon down with them to dump in Lake Ray Roberts and then mark the location with his GPS...presto! our own secret crappie fishin' spot.

That gives me and idea for the cottage. Think I'll go around next week and pick-up some of those discarded Christmas Trees with my truck.

:D

right off of the end of my fishing dock in my pond. Great habitat.

Kids went Christmas tree "hunting" this year out in the pasture, to supplement the plastic one, and we "topped" about a 4 foot piece and put it on the front porch. Looked great and brought back memories and smells.

The trimming of some of the interior branches is an idea, most people just put the whole tree in. Hmmm, may try that, this is the first habitat I've put in there.

Anyone wanna help? Have lot's of snappin' turtles and cottonmouths. :D

When are you going to be doing this?

This Saturday is the plan. The problem we're having now is that all the fishermen in the city are stealing all the trees from the local dump spot!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom