Anybody else encounter tech arrogance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the rare occasions I dive Ginnie on the weekend you would be amazed at the comments we MOF, double hose/harness divers get....After the profiling and chest pounding are over it's nice to talk to the divers who really want to know what's what. As El Jefe says, Dive and let Dive..

My first experience with tech-diving made me realize I know crap all. Indeed, on one day of training, the scenario we were running stressed me out a lot - I did not know up from down I think - we were practicing solo ascents, having a surface marker deployed with a free flowing regulator and a flooded mask. I declined the second training dive of the day.

I was shore diving once and had some blowhard bleat about my gear, as if I somehow looked like I just started diving and needed his expertise about what type of wing I should have bought instead of the one I had.

I was shore diving once and had some blowhard bleat about my gear, as if I somehow looked like I just started diving and needed his expertise about what type of wing I should have bought instead of the one I had.

It gets interesting when its a rec instructor that criticizes tech people. I have a 60lb wing that I use for heavy steel doubles along with other cylinders, while I dive dry. There is a rec instructor that works in one of the LDS's that I get gas fills from that can't figure out why I would be using a wing over 30lbs. He critiques my choice of wing from time to time.

He understands what is sold in his store and if anything is different, he needs his boss (who is a tech instructor) to inform him as to why.

Say, was your guy diving a 7' hose and carrying a light canister? LOL

Having an attitude is not solely a tech diver trait.

Just wait until you meet a photographer who has a camera rig bigger than your head.
And the DM spends half his time chasing him, as the photographer has no buoyancy control...

She told me all about how she is a tech diver and would love to come on this dive...telling me she was going to dive trimix etc...

The dive is 115’... later found out that she had zero tech experience nor training...and she backed out on the dive at the last minute without paying.
So girls do that sort of stuff too? I guess it makes sense...

Just wait until you meet a photographer who has a camera rig bigger than your head.
Good thing my camera housing isn't much bigger than your head, then. Unless you're really big-headed...

<rant>
Damn, I hate generalizations. Tech divers are this, UW photogs are that, split fins users are.. I really don't know. You're free to judge me and diss me after we've dived together. But if you're going to decide what kind of buddy I am before we've dived together, I have only one thing to say: up yours.
</rant>

I have had the opposite experience: quiet competence, good humor, helpful suggestions combined with confidence-boosting compliments, and a willingness to do a totally simple dive with me just for fun, but this was from that rare breed of tec diver that is highly trained in tie dye.

Say, was your guy diving a 7' hose and carrying a light canister? LOL
That made me laugh. Good, easy morning humor.
"Whaaaaat?"
"He says he knows ya!"

Fortunately I have not had such an experience. The tech divers I know, including several GUE instructors, are all fine people and not arrogant at all. Heck, they will even dive with me on occasion (like the time I filmed a tech class down at 180 fsw). I respect their more advanced skills and they respect my knowledge of marine life (even as I flail around while diving with them).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom