Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I am feeling a lot better. Matter of fact, I am getting ready to cut out of work and go golfing. My in laws are due in tomorrow and here through the weekend but I am still going diving Saturday. I will try and shoot UW pics and maybe video but I apologize in advance because my UW camera skills SUCK! LOL I will try and post a video of last year when I was first trying it out.

BTW, does anyone know if they (divers) find any partial tusks in Venice Beach? I would think so since there are mammoth teeth.

Thx, I hope you get to feeling better and good luck, post pics.

Oh, I am feeling a lot better. Matter of fact, I am getting ready to cut out of work and go golfing. My in laws are due in tomorrow and here through the weekend but I am still going diving Saturday. I will try and shoot UW pics and maybe video but I apologize in advance because my UW camera skills SUCK! LOL I will try and post a video of last year when I was first trying it out.

BTW, does anyone know if they (divers) find any partial tusks in Venice Beach? I would think so since there are mammoth teeth.

Hey Aeromike. There have been quite a few pieces of tusks found. It's something I have always hoped to come across but nothing yet. If you search this board you can find pictures of some of them. Usually it is just a chunk but they are very recognizable once you find one if you know what your'e looking for. I hope this is the season I finally find a piece. I've never heard of a whole one or even mostly whole one being found.

need anyone help here. I have a couple really bad 15 second video's from last year and want to post them. I have never uploaded video's, only pictures. Can I just upload the video's to photobucket?

Can I just upload the video's to photobucket?

Hello Mike,

I have used photobucket for videos BUT I tend to use u-tube for videos now days and photobucket for photos only. ALTHOUGH, the geo-tagging on Flickr is getting my attention.

Of course you can always "LINK" to a video, OR do it like this:
[ytx]u-tube number here[/ytx]

the "u-tube number" is at the end of the u-tube URL.

dont use the x's. i put them in there to trick it

Here is a link to a listing of all the scubaboard codes:

ScubaBoard - BB Code List

ps: have fun diving this weekend. i may run into you (not in the bad way). i hope to run the ski to shark tooth island AND a run on the lower Edisto

--------------------------------------------------------------

EXCELLENT finds Sharky! Those are some KEEPERS for sure. WoW, nice MEGS, nice, very nice.
Congrats!

Last edited:
Do you ever dive offshore for teeth in SC? I see the stories about the ledges where people pull up a lot of teeth. Are they still pretty productive? I would like to combine a trip up there where I can do some offshore stuff and some river diving. :D

Hello Kdady...Offshore Wilmington NC is known around here for Meg teeth. Wilmington is towards the bottom of coastal NC. It is a very beautiful area. LOTS of beautiful marsh. Carolina Beach is 20 minutes south of Wilmington and has a few dive boats for hire also. The boats in that area know where the fossils are and they make a point to go to those sites. Here is a slide show of a few of the Wilmington and Carolina Beach dive boats. CAREFUL: Watching slide show will make you want to go diving.

I inadvertently found a limestone fossil bed within a ledge offshore SC last season. The SC divers have not yet started focusing on it. The SC dive boats know the fossils are there but are not very interested. The Wilmington and Carolina Beach NC dive boats are "in tune" with it.

What it amounts to is there are three very long ledges that run parallel and up the coast of SC and NC. The ledges are about an hours boat ride offshore. Apparently these were the edges of ancient rivers.

There are TONS of fossils to be had but one must dive virgin sites to cash in. The boats go to the same old worn out sites time after time.

Here is an area I find interesting. Have seen documentation of fossils coming from this area for a LONG time

Last edited:
Great finds, good looking teeth. No Megs for me today. I did a recon dive today and found nothing but a piece of bone and then this 2.75" Benedini tooth in the last ten minutes of my last dive. Got lucky. It was a good day.

Attachments

• DSC01845.JPG
    DSC01845.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 73
Nice Beni tooth. My best Beni is a 1.5" tooth I found last year in the Edisto River.

15Beni.jpg

Hey Lee, I am going to be up by Cottageville so I doubt I run into you but be safe and have a good time~!

Hey Lee, I was thinking, I really do not want the up keep of having a boat but I want to be able to go out on the bigger rivers so I was thinking of joining the Freedom Boat club. have you any comments about the boat club? anyone for that matter. I just want to be able to go out without hindering others. I was thinking I could use the smaller boats to hit the edges at low tide with my son and use the larger boats to take others out for us to dive. I am not talking about me charging anyone but just some dive buddies getting together and going out. I can also use the larger boats to go off shore too. Just a thought.

Great finds, good looking teeth. No Megs for me today. I did a recon dive today and found nothing but a piece of bone and then this 2.75" Benedini tooth in the last ten minutes of my last dive. Got lucky. It was a good day.

A couple of beni's. The largest 3 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC05271.jpg
    DSC05271.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 80
Very fine tooth Mike, I like the color. Not a bad set of teeth either Sharky. I love seeing this stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom