Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully this works, a very short video of the biggest angustidens tooth I found broken or whole.
SAM_0945.jpg

SAM_0944.jpg

Click on the pic

Hey Lee, I am going to be up by Cottageville so I doubt I run into you but be safe and have a good time~!

Have a good dive Mike and have a fun time. Not sure I will get out on the water tomorrow. Needing to do some sudden and unexpected car repair. HOPEFULLY, I will pull the ski outta the garage and crank it. MAYBE I will get it out on the water.

Hey Lee, I was thinking, I really do not want the up keep of having a boat but I want to be able to go out on the bigger rivers so I was thinking of joining the Freedom Boat club. have you any comments about the boat club? anyone for that matter.

I looked at it years ago and decided against it. Look closely at the boats and geographic restrictions, etc. Don't remember why I decided against it. May have been the restrictions. I wanna take it all over the place.

I go out on the ocean on dive boats frequently so my need for that is taken care of in that manner.

I seldom use a river boat without paying. In fact, I don't mind paying. It just seems worth the money to me.

I am not a fisherman, but, I like this style boat for river running. Not quite ready to afford myself this. I do think its in my future. The ski is really fun but it is just too much of a one person thing. I want to walk on the boat, sit in those high fishing chairs, and use the trolling motor if I want to. AND, I can always toss on a mask, fins, and scuba unit, and fall into the water

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mike... I like the looks of the bottom in that video. Looks like a good spot. In fact, it looks like a "Ditch Weezel" Edisto river video

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sharky.... you have some KILLER teeth dude!

Last edited:
Well, I went today but there jsut was not too much there. A lot of sand and you was working for everything. I did manage to find four pieces of Indian pottery, half a plate, and a few broken teeth. Nothing to shake a stick at. My camera was acting up and I guess if I had to have it screw up then today was the day. The water was 56 degrees, I was alright but I got out with just under 1000 PSI because I just was not finding anything.

The finds for the day was a nice Benedini found by my dive buddy and the best find was towards the end of the day, Jason finds his weight belt he lost last year~!!!!! LOL

When I get back from supper, I will try and post some pics.

Lee, I spoke with Phill and he says he is getting a charter together for the end of this month on the Cooper. I think I may do it.

Well I did my car repair today. I hate it that I burned a perfectly good day for recreation, BUT I hate giving up my money when I can do the fix for 1/10th of what the auto repair people charge. I feel the same way about food. I can eat beef and potatoes at the house for $2 but have to pay $8-$10 for a sandwich at the corner.

Mike I recommend you go with Phill. Phill knows the Cooper like the back of his hand. I have heard divers comment that they would go with others but prefer to go with Phill because they always have a good time on Phills boat, whether the finds are good or not good. One thing you will find out about Phill is that he LOVES diving the Cooper and LOVES finding old blob top bottles. He is in NO hurry because he is out to have fun (not make money). I think he is doing 3 tanks per diver, these days. I may go with you guys, but not dive, still tooooooo cold for my thin blood. I have two wetsuits that fit me (and a few that dont). A 5mm and a 2mm. I usually hold out for 70 F water temp and usually find it colder on the bottom. 80 F and I am perfectly content to do 50 minute dives over and over. I get waterlogged at 50 minutes. Not sure why 50 minutes but I can count on it. I just get to feeling TOO wateree at 50 minutes plus. I have done dives over an hour but they are the exception. I think a hour and 20 minutes is the longest dive I have every done (or wanted to do for that matter)

Phil and Cinda on Phils previous boat

Fossils from 2002 when Phil put me on a Meg Bone-yard

Last edited:
Okay, here is my finds from yesterday. Man I must say that I haven't been in the water since November and my whole body is aching today! LOL Pics are not bad considering they are from my phone.

Stoneware plate
Plateback-1.jpg

PlateFront.jpg

Pieces of Indian pottery
IndianPottery1.jpg

IndianPottery2.jpg

Found these two pieces at different times and only after I was looking at my finds did I notice they had the same design and low and behold, they fit!
2piecesofIndianPottery.jpg

2piecesofIndianPottery2.jpg

Ray plate
RayPlate.jpg

Shamer teeth
MegPiece.jpg

PosteriorMeg.jpg

AnotherShamer.jpg

SmallerAngustidens.jpg

ShamerAngy.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos Mike. I like the plate. Don't know why. The Indian pottery is not too uncommon around this area. I had a really nice piece and I threw it out. Must have been out of my mind. It was circular. May have been Wampum or maybe a lid. Those teeth have quite a bit of wear. I suppose they have traveled about quite a bit.

I am patiently waiting for my game to start.

Last edited:
Man I must say that I haven't been in the water since November and my whole body is aching today! LOL

Mike, nice finds thanks for sharing. That is funny, I felt the same way last week when I dove for the 1rst time in a couple months. I felt like I had been beat up!!

Lee I don't see how you dive just 50 minutes. I usually won't surface until I am down to 500 psi.......maybe i have tiger blood, ha ha (charlie sheen = WINNING LOL)

I am diving steel 95's so depending on current and depth i can go from an hour to 3 hours. most dives are probaly 1.5 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom