Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee, we will check out a couple of spots this season. If your friend is pretty reasonable on the jaws i would like to have just a jaw without any teeth, that i can fill up.

You guys are making me jealous with all of your finds! Thanks for sharing them. It is fun to look at them and hear about how and where you found them.

Lee on that tooth above that I mentioned, I was just amazed at how perfect it looks.

You guys are making me jealous with all of your finds! Thanks for sharing them. It is fun to look at them and hear about how and where you found them.

Lee on that tooth above that I mentioned, I was just amazed at how perfect it looks.

Shoot USBB, get your butt down here and get diving~!lol

Here is a shot from the Edisto this past fall
PA160002.jpg

Here is one of my favorite finds from last year, it was a late year find and another Edisto tooth that is perfect
SAM_0953.jpg

SAM_0954.jpg

That is an excellent tooth Mike. Thanks for posting the photos. Love the QUALITY.

I really like the looks of the bottom of the Edisto where people are finding teeth. The size, color, and abundance of the stones looks just right for teeth to start popping up. The clarity is excellent.

---------------------------------------------

USBB you need to post a photo of something you have found. If you have not found anything yet you will find out that posting photos is a LOT of fun and a great way to share your hobby with others with the same interest.

--------------------------------------------

Sharky .... I will send him an email and tell him you are interested in prices on the jaws only. He has been doing it a LONG time. National Geographic did a show on him.

Lee, I have an underwater camera that is not the best but I will take it with me and see if I can get some decent pics. I talked to a guy that dove the Edisto this past weekend and he said the current was up as was the water level. He had a flimsy spike and did not have a light. I have have a couple of new lights but I will leave the 1200 lumen light at home and take one of my 200 lumen lights. In the shade you have a hard time seeing the smaller barracuda teeth.

I will post a trip report. I need to get my tanks filled. Hey Lee, have you ever had your tanks filled at the International Dive Shop, I want to get my tanks filled during my lunch.

Oh and since you like pics, here is a nice bottle find out of the Edisto two years ago. It is a Walterboro, SC coke bottle.
teeth009-2.jpg

teeth010-2.jpg

How is this for a shamer of a whale tooth?
teeth017-2.jpg

That is an excellent tooth Mike. Thanks for posting the photos. Love the QUALITY.

I really like the looks of the bottom of the Edisto where people are finding teeth. The size, color, and abundance of the stones looks just right for teeth to start popping up. The clarity is excellent.

Hey Mike.... If you are talking about Sergio Smiths training for commercial divers in the old Navy yard, the answer is yes I have had tanks filled by Sergio many, many times, many years ago. I have purchased tanks (he always made me a good price) and other hardware from him. He was located in Summerville before he started the Commercial Diving Institute. I found a particular hose I was looking for in his store last season.

Sergio is noted for placing "Heritage Trail" plaques in the Cooper River. Sergio was an excellent scuba gear service tech until he moved into the commercial side of the business. I thought he was the best around these parts. He spent most his life as a Navy diver.

------------------------------------

I like photos above the surface just as much as underwater. UW photos are cool, I still like em, but I have seen tons. I like photos of the location, the conditions, the water, the people, the gear, the finds, stuff like that.

------------------------------------

Weight yourself extra heavy and there will be less need for a spike.

-------------------------------------

For holding to the bottom of a river with a current running: Here is a tool and method I found that works very well for me personally. When faced with a fast river current I am able to fold my arm underneath my chest, stick this tool in the bottom, and hold on rather well. The way it is held takes a lot of stress off the wrist and arm and allows you to "not get tired"

Important to note: HOW IT IS HELD

Click-able

Holding the spade/Handle goes under forearm

Handle running length of arm/underneath arm

Handle goes against forearm

Last edited:
Fellas, I would love to come diving. Unfortunately, the budget is pretty tight and I am mostly dreaming of diving right now. I started my own insurance agency two years ago selling health insurance and related products. Of course with all that is going on with the gov and the economy, it was not the best time to launch such a venture. I am puttering along and making headway, but for the last couple of years every dime almost is going into staying afloat.

If you know of anyone looking for coverage, let me know. I just saved a client a few weeks ago $2300 per employee per year and another client $1250 per employee per year. My background was in manufacturing and industrial sales, so I approach things a bit differently than some of my competition. I know what it takes to make a product and get it to market profitably and that has helped me come up with some new strategies for clients that have been very successful.

This looks like it will be a decent year, so I am hoping the dive season of 2012 will have me back in the water more.

I will keep you guys posted and when I can make it that way again would love to plan a dive ith you guys. Edisto is one of my favorite places. I don't think I could ever get bored there. I love to surf fish, to crab, to listen to the sound of nothing much but the ocean and of course now that there is the possibility of some great diving it just might be the greatest place on earth!

Back in 2002 I took some time off from scuba diving. Perfectly understandable.

I thought I could just jump back in where I left off. It actually took some time (and money) to get back in the groove with things.

We change. Things change. Everybody and everything changes constantly.

I guess I am saying be prepared for changes. Its all good.

Things do change, this year for me has already been a tough year losing my dad about 4 weeks ago followed 4 day later losing my uncle and 4 days after that I lost one of my childhood friends. I need to get back to doing things I love and get out of this funk I am in.

I am really looking forward to going diving this weekend if anything just something where I can be alone in the water and back to something I love to do.

Here are a couple more of last years Edisto finds, a really nice gator shute and a monster 1.5" perfect Benedini which is big for the Edisto I am told.
Gatorplate.jpg

15Beni.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom