Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got an email from a long time dive pal tonight. He is going to be running his boat in the Cooper this season. He said he is anxious to get started. I will get him and his boat over to the Wando site. You might want to go with us to the Wando site Mike. I think I can also get him on the Edisto. His boat is rigged out. He has shown up in the past with UW closed circuit TV, metal detectors, and a Hookah in addition to the tanks. We ALWAYS have a good time.

ps: found parts of a very old wooden sailing ship while diving with this guy way up in the backwoods of the Francis Marion National Forest. Our target was American revolutionary rifles. Did not find any :depressed:

Got an email from a long time dive pal tonight. He is going to be running his boat in the Cooper this season. He said he is anxious to get started. I will get him and his boat over to the Wando site. You might want to go with us to the Wando site Mike. I think I can also get him on the Edisto. His boat is rigged out. He has shown up in the past with UW closed circuit TV, metal detectors, and a Hookah in addition to the tanks. We ALWAYS have a good time.

ps: found parts of a very old wooden sailing ship while diving with this guy way up in the backwoods of the Francis Marion National Forest. Our target was American revolutionary rifles. Did not find any :depressed:

I'm game! I am always on the lookout for colonial stuff. so far it has just been clay pipes, shards and a cut piece of Spanish II Reale from 17xx.
RealeMedium.jpg

Reale3Medium.jpg

I need an updated pic since this only shows a couple of pipe stems and none of the bowls
Relic2640x480.jpg

Lee, just let me know when and where an I am there.

Really nice pieces Mike. Thanks for posting. Absolutely love the quarter coin. Very nice indeed.

You may or may not be aware: There are two Civil war era shipwrecks offshore North Myrtle Beach. All artifacts laying on the bottom have been picked up, BUT it is obvious there are still massive amounts of plunder under the sand. I picked up a few items myself many years ago. I have seen rifles, rifle parts, mini balls, bottles, and a CSA buckle come up. I pulled a medicine bottle and a few rifle parts (one from a Henry) out of the sand.

I sold my Apollo AV-1 scooter. I feel sure a Mel Fisher "mailbox" (uses propwash) would expose items that would make your eyes OPEN WIDE. No way to know the condition but I am sure there are crates of 1886 Henry 45 cal Winchesters under the sand. The 1886 was the first rifle of this type manufactured by Winchester

ref:

The Sherman:

Originally a 200 ft. blockade-runner, this 120 year old post-Civil War wreck lies in 52 feet of water about 6 miles from Little River Inlet. Always surrounded by multitudes of marine life, the SHERMAN also offers a variety of artifacts for the careful hunter. US belt buckles, buttons, bottles and fossils have been found on this site,- a South Carolina shipwreck popular with divers of all skill levels.

The "Governor":

This South Carolina shipwreck is a 200 foot Civil War paddle wheeler lies in 80 feet of water 22 miles off the coast. While it's true identity remains elusive, the site offers everything from brass artifacts to Southern stingrays and a multitude of other marine life.

Last edited:
Really nice pieces Mike. Thanks for posting. Absolutely love the quarter coin. Very nice indeed.

You may or may not be aware: There are two Civil war era shipwrecks offshore North Myrtle Beach. All artifacts laying on the bottom have been picked up, BUT it is obvious there are still massive amounts of plunder under the sand. I picked up a few items myself many years ago. I have seen rifles, rifle parts, mini balls, bottles, and a CSA buckle come up. I pulled a medicine bottle and a few rifle parts (one from a Henry) out of the sand.

I sold my Apollo AV-1 scooter. I feel sure a Mel Fisher "mailbox" (uses propwash) would expose items that would make your eyes OPEN WIDE. No way to know the condition but I am sure there are crates of 1886 Henry 45 cal Winchesters under the sand. The 1886 was the first rifle of this type manufactured by Winchester

ref:

The Sherman:

Originally a 200 ft. blockade-runner, this 120 year old post-Civil War wreck lies in 52 feet of water about 6 miles from Little River Inlet. Always surrounded by multitudes of marine life, the SHERMAN also offers a variety of artifacts for the careful hunter. US belt buckles, buttons, bottles and fossils have been found on this site,- a South Carolina shipwreck popular with divers of all skill levels.

The "Governor":

This South Carolina shipwreck is a 200 foot Civil War paddle wheeler lies in 80 feet of water 22 miles off the coast. While it's true identity remains elusive, the site offers everything from brass artifacts to Southern stingrays and a multitude of other marine life.

Man Lee, I want ot dive the Sherman really bad now.

I am always open to new sites to search. I am happy to trade maps with the exception of mapped sites I have been requested not to share. Currently I am targeting the Edisto river from a research perspective. I hope to be diving it this season.

I made a video of a rifle butt plate I found on the Sherman shipwreck. Mike, I can appreciate that you are excited about diving that site but remember that it is a training platform and has been dove 1000's of times. Any artifacts there are UNDER the sand. The same goes for the Governor shipwreck. I will include a Cooper river map of the location where I found the spear point in the video. LOTS of log jams in that particular spot. Mud undercuts close to the edge. FAST boats.

Video of rifle butt plate

Last edited:
Hey Sharky,

Took some photos of my South Carolina Frag bottle tonight. Thought you might enjoy.

Nice.... almost dove yesterday, but decided to burn off some land i have instead. looking at those jars makes me wish I had dove instead.......... it has been several weeks since i have dove but the weather is starting to "get right" for diving.

Lee:

Man the ace basin area looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I was closer. Brunswick area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom