Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(((hugs))) AeroMike Sorry to hear about the loss of those so dear to you.

Thanks Bee, I am fine for the most part but I there are still some things that bother me a lot. I will not bore you all with them but I am just surprised at how some of my brothers and sisters are acting. None of them could spare a dime for my dad's funeral and I paid for it all and I didn't even get a chance to see him before he was cremated. he lived in Michigan an I live in Charleston.

Hopefully my UW camera will be working better and I can get some decent pics for y'all. I heard from a friend that the spot where I want to dive that the water was moving pretty good. I guess I will try out my new spike and I can not wait to try out my new lights.

I thought I would mix it up a bit and post some pics of North America's largest moth. This thing usually only comes out at night and it was the first time i have ever seen one in person. The gas pump buttons are 2 inches across s ouse that as a gauge for measuring.
IMG00035.jpg

IMG00036.jpg

Sorry about your losses. I will be praying for you.

Beautiful moth, but man those gas prices are SCARY!!!!! Our unleaded is $3.09 per gallon.........

Sorry about your losses. I will be praying for you.

Beautiful moth, but man those gas prices are SCARY!!!!! Our unleaded is $3.09 per gallon.........

LOL, this was taken over a year ago back when gas prices were getting crazy. Right now our mid grade is 3.16/gal.

Very sorry about the passing of your Dad Mike. Been there, done that. Major life altering experience. I know about the surprising family behaviors also. Sometimes we find ourselves VERY alone. I have one family death I don't talk about but it is always with me and that is my younger brother's death. Some are understandable, some are not.

Anyways, lets not dwell on death. Thanks for posting the pics. LOV that tooth. LOV the color.

I am gonna go hunt up some photos (I have taken) to post.

Photos are click-able

small Venice Florida teeth I found

coin off the Atocha

my dive partner Joy

2 miles offshore Boynton Beach FL/80 feet of beautiful water

gold found by Mel Fisher

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks its that time of the year again when we have to start making a list of places
we are thinking about diving this season. I will start by posting my list.

offshore Wilmington fossils
shipwreck offshore Murrells Inlet
offshore Charleston fossil ledge
Wando river fossils
Cooper river fossils
Edisto river fossils
Venice FL fossils
Jupiter FL drift dives
Boynton Beach FL drift dives
Key Largo shipwreck and reefs
Little Caymans sealife

Baja fully loaded shipwreck seldom dove
Baja.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOV this photo / Joy and I are in the rear of the photo
researcher.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, it is just hard when you lose someone you love. Unfortunately family isn't as always as supporting and loving as one might hope. I don't know why people are not more understanding and loving toward those that ought to matter most and are there for them when it really counts.

We lost my Dad 10 years ago. I still cry sometimes. Mostly now when I am out in my shop using his tools that he loved that he can no longer use or when I break out the fishing gear. He had cancer and we knew it was coming. My brother who died in April of 2010 was sudden and unexpected. He was 46. Whether you know it is coming or not, it is just hard to have those you love removed from your life. Death just sucks.

I wish I had the words to say to make the pain go away or to ease your suffering. If I had such words, I would not withhold them from you. ((((hugs)))

Love that moth pic. It is stunning. They are so beautiful and delicate.

Hi gents,

I've been enjoying the thread, but am sorry for Mike and his loss. My brother and I lost our parents back in the '90s and are now taking care of my Grandmother (she's 95). Lost my Grandfather last year here at my house (he was 95). They were married 75 years. Don't see that every day.

My brother and I are planning a trip back to Charleston in late May for a fossil dive. We've both done a bit of OW diving, mostly warm clear blue water, so this will be a bit different.

Was wondering if you might recommend some good dive operators that might ease us into it. We're pretty open to the location, Edisto, Ashley, Cooper, etc. Just hoping to find a tooth or two.

I'll share some of my finds from over the years in a pic below, including the one and only Meg tooth that I've found ;-) I grew up in NC and went to college at the Citadel, so the arrowheads are from a field back home in NC. The Meg tooth...well...I now live in St. Louis, MO, and one Saturday I was taking our three little boys on a ride around. We stopped at a roadside flea market and were browsing through when I spotted the Meg tooth just laying there on one of the tables! $15 and it was mine! My oldest son (6 yo) and I have found a number of teeth in a creek up near Summerville, SC, but nothing like that one I found here in MO.

I tried attaching an image....we'll see if it worked...

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 253
Hey Byron, I'll let Lee answer the question about charters as he knows a lot more then I do.

Really like your points and the meg isn't that bad either, I also like that piece of petrified wood, lol

How long are you and your brother going to be in town? I can show you a spot on the Edisto river that I usually do good at. I was going to go diving tomorrow but with the rain we are currently getting along with me picking up the 24 hour flu bug yesterday, I am going to scrub my diving plans.

Here is a nice Indian knife I found in Georgia. This first pic is "as found". There was some new construction going on and after a heavy rain I decided to take a look. I thought this was a spear point and after having some people looking at from the museum, they said that it was a knife blade. They said you can see the flat edge from the use and the notches are at an upward angle instead of straight back. Pretty cool find~!
100_0084Medium.jpg

Picture068Medium.jpg

I have yet to find any Indian points or arrowheads here in South Carolina, only pottery pieces but I know this year I should be able to find one!!!! LOL

Hi gents,

I've been enjoying the thread, but am sorry for Mike and his loss. My brother and I lost our parents back in the '90s and are now taking care of my Grandmother (she's 95). Lost my Grandfather last year here at my house (he was 95). They were married 75 years. Don't see that every day.

My brother and I are planning a trip back to Charleston in late May for a fossil dive. We've both done a bit of OW diving, mostly warm clear blue water, so this will be a bit different.

Was wondering if you might recommend some good dive operators that might ease us into it. We're pretty open to the location, Edisto, Ashley, Cooper, etc. Just hoping to find a tooth or two.

I'll share some of my finds from over the years in a pic below, including the one and only Meg tooth that I've found ;-) I grew up in NC and went to college at the Citadel, so the arrowheads are from a field back home in NC. The Meg tooth...well...I now live in St. Louis, MO, and one Saturday I was taking our three little boys on a ride around. We stopped at a roadside flea market and were browsing through when I spotted the Meg tooth just laying there on one of the tables! $15 and it was mine! My oldest son (6 yo) and I have found a number of teeth in a creek up near Summerville, SC, but nothing like that one I found here in MO.

I tried attaching an image....we'll see if it worked...

Last edited:
Well folks its that time of the year again when we have to start making a list of places
we are thinking about diving this season.

Well, my list is going to be very short but here it is;

Cooper River fossil dives
Wando River fossil dives
Edisto River fossil dives
Venice Beach fossil dives
(see a pattern here? lol)
I am trying to squeeze in a Cozumel dive when we are there on our cruise this April but that may be easier said then done.

Would love to dive off shore too, we have a new guy at work that was transferred and he is a master diver with a couple of boats and said that he was going to take me off shore lobster diving if I take him fossil diving. LEE I MAY NEED YOUR HELP!!!! HE HAS THE BOAT FOR US, WE JSUT NEED TO STOP ON A SPOT IN THE RIVER!!!!. :D

Hello Byron... Thanks for taking the time to post the photo. Love those Indian artifacts!

In regards to fossil diving. There are a lot of good people that provide Cooper River charters and fossil diving. I have used a bunch of them over time but settled on the same guy for many, many years. His name is Phill Myers. He sent over an email and said he is going to start his river diving season the end of March. (said he would be using a camp stove to heat water to pour into wetsuits) Over the past few years, just to change things up a bit, I tried using a friend of Phill's named Johnny Cercopely. I think Johnny is ready to go out onto the river, he is just waiting for enough people to commit the boat. Both of these guys will instruct you on diving black water. Just ask questions and they will tell you precisely what you need to bring and how to dive the river. They are both very knowledgeable and will show you a good time.

ps: If you want to try a Hookah, make arrangement with Phil.

Phills deck boat with bimini top. (has a hull...no pontoons...has old sharks teeth and frags laying around the floor board).... Phill's Back Water Diversions
boat1.jpg

Johnny's boat. Fast. Heavy with engines. Johnny's Cooper River Dive Charters
parker-red1.jpg

A good photo of Johnny and his fine river boat on the Cooper River. (that water looks so good to me)
crew_5.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom