any Whites drysuit owners? pro or con

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why haven't you emailed Dan's to ask for a price quote on 2 Nex-Gen drysuits plus 2 sets of underwear and two sets of boots?

Ah, apologies. I should have checked my link.. my memory isn't the best these days.

I hope they can make you a good deal - I think the Nex-Gen suits are far superior to the White's.

...guess I'm confused...

I asked for a price on the White's Nexus Drysuit with Evolution boots.

You said... "I think the Nex-Gen suits are far superior to the White's."

The Nex-Gen suit is different than the Nexus apparently? Who manufactures the Nex-Gen, does it cost more?

Wayne_Sargent:
...guess I'm confused...

I asked for a price on the White's Nexus Drysuit with Evolution boots.

You said... "I think the Nex-Gen suits are far superior to the White's."

The Nex-Gen suit is different than the Nexus apparently? Who manufactures the Nex-Gen, does it cost more?

Allow me to quote myself:

jonnythan:
I've seen the cheap White's suits and they're OK. The main problem is that they're a bilaminate design, which means they're a urethane backed nylon. This material doesn't have nearly the life span of a trilaminate, which consists of layers of rubber sandwiched between two layers of nylon (or between nylon and polyester, or something similar).

I've seen a few of Bare's Nex-Gen suits, and I've been quite impressed. They're well tailored, very inexpensive, and seem to be very tough. I can't quite tell what the material is exactly, but it feels almost like a very thin crushed neoprene. Maybe someone who has one can comment. The guys at Dan's Dive Shop in Ontario (www.dansdive.ca), as well as several other Canadian based shops, and even Leisurepro sell this suit for not much money. The price at LP seems to have gone up recently (from under $500 to $540), but it's still a great deal. The guys at Dan's are on the ball, too.. I bought my Bare ATR HD from them last year. Couldn't be happier.

In any case, give the Bare Nex-Gen a look.

The Nex-Gen is made by Bare and Dan's Dive Shop sells them for a very good price. I was trying to encourage you to contact Dan's to ask specifically about a Nex-Gen package as opposed to the Nexus package you already found. IMO, the Nex-Gen is better than the Nexus and I was trying to get you to price the Nex-Gen before you bought the Nexus. The price for the Nex-Gen should be very competetive with the Nexus. Last time I checked Dan's was selling them for under $450.

Send Dan's another email asking for a price on a Nex-Gen. I don't even know if they sell White's drysuits.

I dive a whites, but it's tired and wants to be retired. It was a great suit. I am going to replace it with a Nex Gen or a suit from Abyss Dive systems: www.abyss.biz

I have the Whites Nexus package.

Not to bring up the LDS vs Internet, but see if your dive shop will throw in the dry suit certification if you pay retail. $719 internet + $150 drysuit cert. You want the DS to fit correctly. If the LDS takes the time to fit you properly and lets you get a few practice dives, it may behoove you to go with them.

The Nexus is my first DS. For what it does, I am estatic. I am WARM and I didn't have to sell my car to get it.

The suit has a few drawbacks - 1) the shell doesn't have a nice heft to it. Its not meant for moderate to heavy abuse. 2) The zipper is rear entry - which I've been told wears out faster than a front zipper. 3) The separate rock boots take forever to dry. 4) While the insulation is nice, I feel a little cold in 42 degree water. I find that I adding a 100 weight fleece bottom and top keeps me warm and toasty. 5) Drysuit envy. About half of my local dive club have DUI's. But, while my wetsuit dive buddies have shelved their gear for the year, I'm still diving.

I had a Nex-Gen for a year and used it HEAVILY last winter spearfishing.

In short, I beat the snot out of it and it never leaked or gave me a bit of trouble. The fabric is some kind of custom stuff and is tough as nails, and the suit comes with kneepads besides, so you're unlikely to do it serious damage. They weld rather than stitch seams, which helps prevent leaks.

It IS back-zip, and has no cover on the zip, so you have to pay attention and have someone zip you, or figure out how to do it solo and be VERY careful. I could get in and out of mine single-handed, and did several times.

I now have a DUI TLS-350 and love it, but it was WAY more expensive than the Nex-Gen. For a budget/entry-level drysuit, I think its darn hard to beat the Nex-Gen.

I have the Whites Nexus package and have been very happy for the past two years (bought is last fall), never had a leak or problem with the suit. I have become concerned about the durability of it, but mine seems to holding up well so far. I have also heard good things about the NexGen, but don't know anyone who actually dives it yet.

Back
Top Bottom