Any way to help Cozumel with vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that they are into the 40-49 age group now? Does this mean that older people who want the shots have had them?

No - the lines are stupid horendous - about the most disorganized thing you've ever seen.

No - the lines are stupid horendous - about the most disorganized thing you've ever seen.

It sound like it was getting better. I heard if you go later, you avoid the worst of the line. Unless they run out of course....

I have a good friend on the mainland, Puerto Morelos. He is 50, wife in her 40's, mother is 80. None of them has been vaccinated because none of them are willing to be vaccinated. Small sample, but it leads me to believe there is a bunch of vaccine resistance. He half believes that if he gets it, it will just be water. His mother runs him out of her house if he suggests she gets it. His wife says she is going to see what happens to him first.

Exactly. My friend also was swearing like 29 people died from the vaccine but the mayor was covering up for the election.

I did finally talk him into getting a shot. so far he didnt die.

Is there anything I can do, as a visitor, to help Cozumel residents get vaccinations faster, or get people vaccinated who otherwise could not? I know nothing about the process in Mexico. Do Mexicans have to pay for vaccinations? Can I donate somewhere reputable that would help? Is there anything I can bring to the island to donate that might help? I really would like to find some way to help the people who made some of the most memorable vacations I've ever had possible.

If the answer is just "spend money and wear a mask", well I'll already be doing both of those things. Just wondering if there's any other way to help.

(1) Is your goal to keep yourself healthy? (2) To help those who want an injection? (3) Or to protect people from themselves?

If the injections work, and you've gotten one, then you should have little to worry about.

For availability, there's an over-abundance in the US, so it might be a matter of convincing the right people to ship them overseas.

For the people who don't want it, that's a personal choice, and they have to weigh the cost-benefits themselves. I'm going to stay out of the discussion about how rational or irrational those concerns might be.

(1) Is your goal to keep yourself healthy? (2) To help those who want an injection? (3) Or to protect people from themselves?

My goal is just to provide aid to the people of Cozumel, if possible, above and beyond economic aid by just being there. I am not worried about my health at all, or I wouldn't go. I am vaccinated, I will mask up while I am there, and still do when I go out here at home.

The question really came from me thinking about my tradition of bringing supplies for animal shelters whenever I visit a diving destination, but under current circumstances people are also really in need, more than any time I've been there by far. So I wondered if there was anything I could do to help more people get vaccinated since I think that could be the biggest impact for them as cruise ships start arriving again. And you never know unless you ask.

I know some of the some injections must be kept in very specific conditions, so it would be well outside what a normal person could throw in their luggage.

You'd have to work with either the medical companies, charities, or potentially governments. I'd say charities would probably be your best bet. Make sure to research the charity first though, as a lot of charities consume the majority of their resources on marketing and administrative expenses, and manage to get almost none of the money or resources to those who need it.

I don't know if any specific charities myself, but maybe someone else here could recommend one or two.

It sound like it was getting better. I heard if you go later, you avoid the worst of the line. Unless they run out of course....

I skipped my age group because I felt that locals should go first and I had seen people lined up for 6 blocks in the older age group.

Two weeks ago when it was here, they ran out in one place and had a six block long line at 2pm in the other place. Later that night, they announced 1600 available doses, come tomorrow at 11:30 and don't come early. At 10am, the line encircled Bicentenial park and that's a huge freaking park. Add to the confusion the people that were in line the other day that were supposed to be at the head of the line and had to push their way up there......

Is any age group other than the over 70 people complete with their second dose??? The second doses were taking two months or longer......

I'm going to Florida, get a shot, see mom, dive with Chatterton maybe and eat a sausage mcmuffin with egg

If the injections work, and you've gotten one, then you should have little to worry about.
The good ones are really good, but you do still have a little to worry about.

I skipped my age group because I felt that locals should go first and I had seen people lined up for 6 blocks in the older age group.

Two weeks ago when it was here, they ran out in one place and had a six block long line at 2pm in the other place. Later that night, they announced 1600 available doses, come tomorrow at 11:30 and don't come early. At 10am, the line encircled Bicentenial park and that's a huge freaking park. Add to the confusion the people that were in line the other day that were supposed to be at the head of the line and had to push their way up there......

Is any age group other than the over 70 people complete with their second dose??? The second doses were taking two months or longer......

I'm going to Florida, get a shot, see mom, dive with Chatterton maybe and eat a sausage mcmuffin with egg

I just checked. My one friend in his 50 got both. Another that was holding out only got 1 but expects #2 this friday.

Get an mRNA. The J&J isn't looking so great on the variants. If you can go north, all the better. Local or not though, every one vaccinated provides a firebreak.

And the mcmuffin makes a tasty add on.

Back
Top Bottom