Any way to clip closed heel fins to your BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having never done this, this is my theoretical approach.

Get a brass grommet kit from Home Depot and install a grommet in the middle of the achilles heel of each foot pocket. Pre-score your hole then lightly heat up your hole-punch to get it through the thick rubber w/o tearing.
If you want to be real fancy you can find SS grommets to use instead of the brass.

Now before you do all this, you might want to envision your securing strap first.

A small "catch bag", with a double ended bolt snap, rolled into a pocket. The fins go in the bag, clipped to your BCD.

I like this idea, better and cheaper then mine. But it got me thinking. What about some webbing or elastic in a loop that you can pull tight around the fins with a clip or a D-ring at the end. Like a tank carrier but not as bulky.

Hmmmm or

Take an old weight belt (you know you have one), shorten it then put the end threw then buckle and make the loop and attach the clip to the end of the belt.

So you can take your fins put them threw the belt put tight, sinch the buckle, and clip on.

I use open heel fins but I still think this would work fine. I use a short piece of bungee with snap bolts on each end, one clipped to my hip D-ring and one clipped to a shoulder D-ring, I run the bungee through the straps and clip them off and they hang at my side. I would just drill a hole on the bottom where your heel goes so I could run the bolt snap though, I just don't believe that will harm the fin.

Are they open toe? if they are what I use for hauling full foot fins is a length of rubber load tie with the S-hooks on the end replaced with aluminum carabiners, and thread the load tie through the foot and out the toe openeing into the other fins toe openeing and out the heel end, with both ends clipped to ussually the same D-ring. works real well.

Examples of what is needed

Rubber tie down strap:
Amazon.com: 31 Rubber Tie Down Straps": Home Improvement

Carabiner:
Hook HOOK Silver Aluminium Carabiner (7#): Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

just thread the carabiner through the hole where the S-hooks are, can be bought at most hardware stores, will cost you less than 10 bucks and can be use full for alot of things while diving.

Are they open toe? if they are what I use for hauling full foot fins is a length of rubber load tie with the S-hooks on the end replaced with aluminum carabiners, and thread the load tie through the foot and out the toe openeing into the other fins toe openeing and out the heel end, with both ends clipped to ussually the same D-ring. works real well.

Examples of what is needed

Rubber tie down strap:
Amazon.com: 31 Rubber Tie Down Straps": Home Improvement

Carabiner:
Hook HOOK Silver Aluminium Carabiner (7#): Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

just thread the carabiner through the hole where the S-hooks are, can be bought at most hardware stores, will cost you less than 10 bucks and can be use full for alot of things while diving.

Interesting. Is there a reason to replace the hooks with the carabiners? Rust? Hooks too hard on the rubber? The carabiners won't be able to close completely if it's hooked to the open toe end.

Interesting. Is there a reason to replace the hooks with the carabiners? Rust? Hooks too hard on the rubber? The carabiners won't be able to close completely if it's hooked to the open toe end.

I replaced the hooks with carabiners because hooks can come loose, get knocked off a D-ring by a wave on entry etc.
Really any type of belt or rope can be used, and any type of clip etc, I also use mine as a Jon line on boat dives and for tethering gear in the water.

The carabiners do close completely, on the attatched image imagine the red line is the strap and the black dots the carabiners, you clip the carabiners to together or D-rings, not onto the fin.

fullfoot_fin_carrystrap.JPG

those aren't my fins just a picture i found in a quick google search but you can see the basic idea.

I replaced the hooks with carabiners because hooks can come loose, get knocked off a D-ring by a wave on entry etc.
Really any type of belt or rope can be used, and any type of clip etc, I also use mine as a Jon line on boat dives and for tethering gear in the water.

The carabiners do close completely, on the attatched image imagine the red line is the strap and the black dots the carabiners, you clip the carabiners to together or D-rings, not onto the fin.

View attachment 132051

those aren't my fins just a picture i found in a quick google search but you can see the basic idea.

Oh, oh, I see. In my head I was picturing the carabiner as just hooking to the end of the open toe pocket. Threading the tie-down through both foot pockets should work very well, thanks!

That looks good, at camping stores they sell 1/4 inch bungee and plastic clips, total $5......

Back
Top Bottom