Any way to clip closed heel fins to your BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sick of having to carry my closed heel fins in my hands. It makes things like walking down or climbing up steep entries difficult. Same with getting out at rough entries - sometimes you just want to take your fins off in the water, snap them to your body, and then get washed into the rocks with 100% mobility. I'd like to just clip them to somewhere on my body like you can do with normal open heel scuba fins.

Any options?

Most obvious would be to drill a hole in the tip of each one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ideally I'd like to carry them with the foot pocket up and the fin tip down. Drilling into the rubber may lead to splitting in the future.

if you cut a hole in the foot pocket, and then installed a grommet over the hole, it should prevent future tearing. However, I have never tried this and make no guarantees.

Drilling into the rubber may lead to splitting in the future.
I guess you could get some tearing depending on how thick the rubber is where you drill. Seems to me that splitting is problem with materials that are more brittle than the rubber used in most fins I've seen. I have drain holes in the top of my Rocket Fins so I can get them off without the suction thing happening. Had the holes a long time.

Some full-foot fin models made by Japanese diving equipment manufacturer Gull come with small holes drilled in the heel of the foot pocket:
1299283.jpg
If the bases of your full-foot fin foot pockets are similarly thick and stiff, you should be able to drill holes in the same position without damaging or weakening your fins.

For 30 bucks you can get a fin caddy

DiveCaddy - Store

He wants to clip them to his BC while still in the water for shore diving exits over rocks or even during similar entries. I am afraid the answer is a different fin. Any type of hole you put in the fin to attach to a clip is likely to eventually rip at the worst possible moment.

N

You kind of need to have a hole somewhere. Anything short of that and you will eventually lose a fin. You could try a binder clip, but pinch mechanisms are not secure. You need a loop running through a hole to secure the fins.

A small "catch bag", with a double ended bolt snap, rolled into a pocket. The fins go in the bag, clipped to your BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom