Any tricks y'all wanna share?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard,

The whole having your BCD hooked into something on the bottom just seems like an idea that can get you into trouble in a hurry.

The dive knife or tent peg seems like a much better idea.

-I try to give my subjects a personality, make the angle or lighting different from most of the photos I see.

-I shoot a lot upside down too.

-Try and frame the image as close to what you want to see as possible so you have little if any cropping to do later.

-Be patient. Those creatures are pretty curious and if you hang around long enough they will pose for you.

-don't let Catherine guilt you into a BP/W. BCs work fine...:D

I have 2 BP/Ws sitting at home but they are set up for doubles. No need in Hawaii untill I get a dry suit. Im cold after an hour or so. I did an hour and a half recently shooting a nudi fest and about froze after that long.
"The whole having your BCD hooked into something on the bottom just seems like an idea that can get you into trouble in a hurry.

The dive knife or tent peg seems like a much better idea."
The idea is to leave both hands free. A knife or peg still requires one hand, safer no doubt but I still think Im going to try it.

Has anyone tried to vent exhalation bubbles higher in the water colum? Im thinking a 3 foot tube over the regulator ports that will float above you. Something I can just hook up when needed to wait out the shy critters.
________

If I need to wait a critter out, I do all my exhaling through my nose. You end up with a stream of tiny bubbles coming out from the mask, but it's much less frightening to the little guys in the ocean.

I do that too but still end up with a CO2 headache if I don't deep exhale every few breaths.

My tip: Don't let dennis make you cry because he makes your pics suck

Try wrecks in B/W

Make friends with certain fish...learn their best sides.

Be very aware about lighting. I love natural light and train your eye to "see" it. Don't be intimidated by rich boys with bigger, better strobes.

Think through composition before splashing, but stay flexible. Great to have a shot you want. Think in terms of lenses and dive sites. When viz is poor, take refuge in the fact that you can shoot macro.

Reef hooks are great, just forgo them in a really rippin current cause the tension could get you in a pickle.

Ya. like you don't have the biggest strobe on the boat...LOL..BTW the Hold of the Sea Tiger you have for todays avatar is awsome! Cool lighting, you need to show me more of that. Some people have an "eye", I have quanity, one in a hundred looks OK. Thats why i love diving with you and Lisa, I learn every dive even if it's just watching you set up a shot.

catherine96821:
My tip: Don't let dennis make you cry because he makes your pics suck

Try wrecks in B/W

Make friends with certain fish...learn their best sides.

Be very aware about lighting. I love natural light and train your eye to "see" it. Don't be intimidated by rich boys with bigger, better strobes.

Think through composition before splashing, but stay flexible. Great to have a shot you want. Think in terms of lenses and dive sites. When viz is poor, take refuge in the fact that you can shoot macro.

Reef hooks are great, just forgo them in a really rippin current cause the tension could get you in a pickle.

-You don't have to be rich to have 2 strobes

-reef hooks are safe in experienced hands...:D

-be friendly with the fish, make them your pals

-use a BC

-shoot manual. Although I got a couple of great shots this last trip on Auto, camera problem and I know a photographer who shoots all Auto and has some fantastic images.

Mmm, Sea Tiger. I miss that wreck. Best wreck dive I've ever done (four times :D ).

It might be bumped by this time next week though (Spiegel and possibly the Duane coming up).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom