Any tricks y'all wanna share?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just looking for some little tricks that you all use to get better pics.

Honestly, I would be hard-pressed to top anything you had in your recent photo display (your blackwater pics). They were superb!

I don't see anything wrong with what you've displayed, already. The only advice I could give (keep in mind I've only been an UW photographer for a short time) is to keep up the magnificent work!

Thanks, blush blush...Let me ask another question then. How about tips on how to hold still with out tearing up the reefs while getting the cool shots?

If I'm over coral, I like to do my (in)famous trumpetfish imitation and go upside down the exhale until I'm just above the reef/coral head/whatever. This works well for ledges, especially.

If it's not conducive for me to go "head down" and there's a nice sandy patch available, I scan the sand for critters/hazards, find a nice empty area and place a single index finger in that spot. I then use my finger as a monopod, keeping my fins up (my fins are slightly buoyant), stabilize myself and shoot.

Of course, like I said, I'm pretty new at this UWP stuff.

Wildcard:
Thanks, blush blush...Let me ask another question then. How about tips on how to hold still with out tearing up the reefs while getting the cool shots?

hurry up and get into that eclypse....you won't believe the difference..no air shifting around. I really believe in diving with your inflator unhooked. Do it when you get the eclipse and tell me what you think. You think you use your lungs now? try this and see what happens.

Inverting is a good way to get the photos, if the surrounding environment allows for it.

I also use the monopod technique, but instead of using a finger I use my dive knife, it holds better than a finger, and if you can find a rock with no growth on it you can usually wedge your knife into it pretty good as well.

Aggie Diver:
Inverting is a good way to get the photos, if the surrounding environment allows for it.

I also use the monopod technique, but instead of using a finger I use my dive knife, it holds better than a finger, and if you can find a rock with no growth on it you can usually wedge your knife into it pretty good as well.

I never thought about that, I'll have to try it. Sounds like the knife might hold you in position better.

Aggie Diver:

Hey, maybe I'll finally actually get to use my dive knife rather than just having it look cool! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom