Any thoughts on why there isn’t a bounty on lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few actual studies:

Environmental Biology of Fishes

July 2016, Volume 99, Issue 6–7, pp 571–579| Cite as

Invasive Red Lionfish (Pterois volitans) grow faster in the Atlantic Ocean than in their native Pacific range
  • Timothy J. PusackEmail author
  • Cassandra E. Benkwitt
  • Katherine Cure
  • Tye L. Kindinger
Abstract
Invasive Red Lionfish (Pterois volitans) continue to spread along tropical and subtropical coasts of the Western Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico. They may have escaped natural controls present in their native Pacific, thus facilitating their immense success as predators in the Atlantic. We hypothesized that such ecological release would translate into faster individual growth and larger average body lengths in the invaded range relative to the native range. We used mark-release-recapture methods to monitor lionfish growth in two island systems in both the Pacific and the Atlantic. We compared the average individual lionfish growth rates among all four islands and between the two oceans, and compared population-level von Bertalanffy growth functions between oceans. While our study was limited to two sites in each ocean basin, we found consistent growth patterns within oceans and a significant difference between oceans, with lionfish in the Atlantic growing 1.25 to 2.25 times faster than lionfish in the Pacific. The von Bertalanffy model predicted larger average asymptotic lengths for the Atlantic population (322 vs. 225 mm). Given that lionfish consume prey up to half their body length, and that larger lionfish may be less vulnerable to predation, these findings, if broadly representative, suggest that invasive lionfish may consume larger native fish and may have higher survival than lionfish in their native range.
Invasive Red Lionfish ( Pterois volitans) grow faster in the Atlantic Ocean than in their native Pacific range
That one looked at growth rates.

• This last article is printed in full at the above link. If you go to Google Scholar, and search for "lionfish in the Atlantic" you will see a number of studies.

SeaRat

Reactions: Doc
Sorry to provoke anyone with my thread. I dive in Florida and a few other places in the Caribbean enough to see them like everyone else. Here in the northwest the battle to save salmon is being fought and lost and won in many ways. The squaw fish program I mention pays $2 to $8 per fish. And people gear up for it I personally know a couple people who have made upwards of $60 k a year doing it. Maybe more. Many people who fish a lot fish for them either when there fishing for salmon or fish for them instead of salmon. Its spring salmon season right now the sea lions we have over revived in California are now at our coast devouring them I think the last estimate was about 60% of this years run has been taken by them. And there only eating there heads. They kill them take a couple bites and catch another it’s sad to see.

Good point about the money where will it come from I don’t know but I do know people will devote more to something if there even a small amount. Myself I hunt them when my dive party or trip allows it. And a bounty would not effect me doing so but many it would. Very few of my dive partners put much effort into lkilling them but they might if it offset there dive costs even a little? Maybe they would.

Will it solve the problem no. Could it help yes. The area I’m in has a rodent issue and it’s growing we’ve killed enough of there predators and a lot of other factors but the smaller rodent issues are soon to be more public. They invade my house from time to time can I kill them off NO will I ever stop working at keeping them at bay No. The irony is my auto shops now bank on rodent related repairs for our living. Im learning to profit from my own problem. I can garuntee you if there was a bounty in lionfish you will find more divers killing them.

I see more divers killing more lion fish with a bounty even a small one its human nature to work for a reward. When I semi retire to Florida for a fact I’ll hunt them more often, I enjoy spearfishing and it won’t take a bounty for me but some of my buddies might see an extra 20 bucks from a days dive worth the effort. I bet most dives I make in Florida I see at least a couple lionfish and I’m not looking for them usually but my last trip I did hunt them alone I left my spear gun and will probably do that more often. Ill take a few lobster but leave the rest of the fish alone most of the time.

You cant win anything by doing nothing only thing worse is doing the wrong thing so what is the right thing what is the wrong thing. The reef may solve more of the problem on its own. Like mentioned divers are seeing predators learning how to eat them maybe before us humans die off the reef will find a balance on its own.

Man proposes, God disposes
View attachment 455713 Only the innate hubris of a man could allow him to consider a fix for a natural disaster, that was of his own making.

Hunting them will entertain divers who have no naturalist observation skills. It will be good for the sport, attracting a new segment of customers.

Onward, through the fog.

Really like that Landseer painting. Inspired by the lost Franklin expedition.

Man proposes, God disposes
View attachment 455713 Only the innate hubris of a man could allow him to consider a fix for a natural disaster, that was of his own making.

Hunting them will entertain divers who have no naturalist observation skills. It will be good for the sport, attracting a new segment of customers.

Onward, through the fog.

Just asking, how is that approach working out down in Roatan? I've only been down there once about three years ago (and it was off the beaten path, or perhaps on the too-beaten-for-recreational path), but I found myself wishing I'd packed my pole spear. From what I had read the marine park does have a hunting program, although it requires a half-day course on the West End. Not sure how hard the locals and DMs are hitting them.

Speaking as a diver who does have naturalist observation skills, I'd be happy not to see lionfish and don't hunt them for jollies, but if I do see one on the reef I'm not letting it get away if I can help it. Hunting them isn't going to solve the problem, but we can at least limit the damage at recreational depths until Mother Nature kicks in.

@HalcyonDaze, a riff therefrom....

Culling by divers at designated dive sites has a very temporary and observably localized effect. I would liken it to Dandelion control. For the OCD property owner, he can be pretty proud of his patch of grass...while he's looking.

Right next door, and down the street? I can't see that from my porch, but my yard is perfect. This is not to say that the other creatures that you enjoy aren't flourishing in the absence of "crab grass", they are. In this small patch that is being constantly patrolled, it's now a protected haven for pretty fish.

The DMs from CCV do not hunt Lionfish, they are busy being DMs. On very busy dive sites like Mary's Place (the most over-rated dive on Roatan), it is practically devoid of Lionfish due to the parade of dive monkeys every day, all day. On the same tank when I go with a group to MP, I will go poking on either side of MP, and you want to see Lionfish? Thousands, but always 200' away and down-reef from the marauding hordes of AOW spear slingers.

The emergence of DM Hunters is another topic, but to me it points up poor management direction or that DM having reached their level of incompetence, at best- succumbing to boredom. You can argue the DM behavior/duty thing any way you want, but they are simply NOT doing their job if they are hunting. Trip reports that speak proudly of the DMs hunting make my head hurt.

It would be a great goal to be culling invasive species while enjoying a nature walk, but I would venture to say that of all hunters, 1 out of 100 possess requisite skills to do both things at once. This current modern version of hunter- divers seem to be born of those who have yet to find something new to excite them about diving. (Before anyone begins to formulate a counter-argument, please google Dunning Krueger Effect). It is similar and a logical extension of what used to be the go-to accessory for Open Water Checkout Dive #1, the disposable 35mm u/w film camera, now referred/called, the GoPro. Such Finger Spinner devices can placate the otherwise fidgety noob. Hunting: less deadly than Tech, cheaper than photography, it's simpler than finding macro critters or 1000x more instantly gratifying than ticking through a "fish behaviors" list.

I see a whole lot of CCV guests do nightly shore dives. Of the 8 to 20 that splash every night, quite a few have brought their own pointed stick rigs and go prowl for Lionfish. They seem to come up to the 35-55' overhangs on the two shore dive walls to meet other Lionfish and do what they do. The most commonly dived location is CCV Wall and the Prince Albert Wreck, which by the daylight and next day are devoid of LF. Right across the Channel, an un-hunted area, lies Newmans Wall (in front of Fantasy Island), a locale with what seems to be more LF during my day visits.

Dive sites that are not on a "guaranteed hit list weekly rotation"? When you visit, yes there seems to be something of a standard distribution of Lionfish.

What I have seen... If you keep whacking them and don't go off of on vacation, you will "enjoy" a dandelion free lawn. Enjoy your hobby and your white picket fences paradise.

Last edited:
FWIW....

Just back from a week in Cozumel. Didnt see one.

We dove with a friend and it was his second visit to Cozumel in 10 months. He has never seen one.....

FWIW....

Just back from a week in Cozumel. Didnt see one.

We dove with a friend and it was his second visit to Cozumel in 10 months. He has never seen one.....
None???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom