Any substantial temperature difference Jan/Feb/Mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've done dives in Monterey so far in June, Sept and October. Is there any substantial difference diving in the "winter" months i.e. Jan/Feb/March? Better or worse visibility? Is there a noticeable drop in water temperature?

I'm using an 8/7 (very new) SolAFX wetsuit, and so far I've been pretty warm (except for hands); just wondering how the diving is in the "winter." (I imagine the surface intervals can be a bit more challenging though.)

You are correct on the surface interval issue... When the sun isn't out and the wind blowing you never get to rebound and warm up...

Generally the winter produces the warmer water temps but the difference are sometimes noticeable but not always that obvious....

A drysuit will get you a bit more diving and makes the rush to get to the post dive lunch much easier :)

Excuse, me "warmer water temps"? You're saying the water will be warmer in Jan/Feb/Mar than June/Sept/Oct?

Here look at this... Typically the water is warmer during the winter and colder during the summer...

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Please note that the temps in the chart are shallow, temperature at depth
will run about 6F colder.

On that chart, the coldest temps at Pt. Lobos are in the spring
(51F April and May), the warmest in the fall (55F late August through
November). At Pacific Grove, it seems to run a month or so earlier.
This matches my experience. I usually see 44F a couple of times
in April and May.

Chuck,

Under the conditions of 44F degrees in April and May what is the visibility like? At what depth do you get those temps and how long do you have contact with them?

Does the sea lfe seem more active, same or sluggish?

Just curious... I've endured 48 degrees at about 40 feet for about 39 minutes and felt very cold and uncomfortable; I used a 7mm with 3mm hooded vest plus 3 mm extra core.

Arms start to feel the cold first, hands always are cold.

Thanks,

MG

Back
Top Bottom