Any split fins to recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surface area is only the beginning, you also need to account for the direction and acceleration of the thrust. Splits are far easier on your body than plain paddle fins. But they do not do as well (for me) when the load increases dramatically, such as towing a buddy.

NetDoc:
Surface area is only the beginning, you also need to account for the direction and acceleration of the thrust. Splits are far easier on your body than plain paddle fins. But they do not do as well (for me) when the load increases dramatically, such as towing a buddy.

Yea, perhaps I can see that... Now we're at a speed/efficiency vs. power/torque question. Perhpas if you were trying to push or pull a heavy object, maybe the solid fins would generate more torque for that. I believe the other solution, NetDoc, is get some new dive buddies you don't have to tow!

Bwahahaha! As an instructor, I give most everyone a free "ride". I teach Rescue skills to all my NAUI OW divers so I try to plan ahead! :D

BTW, the trick with the splits is to NEVER kick harder... just kick tighter and quicker for more power. Unfortunately, my legs were built for POWER and not for s-p-e-e-e-d so it's tough for me to do.

NetDoc:
Bwahahaha! As an instructor, I give most everyone a free "ride". I teach Rescue skills to all my NAUI OW divers so I try to plan ahead! :D

BTW, the trick with the splits is to NEVER kick harder... just kick tighter and quicker for more power. Unfortunately, my legs were built for POWER and not for s-p-e-e-e-d so it's tough for me to do.

NetDoc, what is a "kick tighter" move? I may have reservations about split fins but I'm still wanting information on them. Still finding the reason to upgrade to splits.

The issue with the split fin is it's flexibility. Even the "stiffer" ones are way flexible compared to a set of paddle fins. If you want to go faster with paddle fins, you just kick harder and broader... not faster.

Split fins collapse when they encounter excessive force. In order to accelerate you have to make a quicker kick that is narrower or "tighter". This not only puts more thrust out the back, but improves your slip stream as well.

Since most of us have grown up with the paddles, it takes quite a bit of adjustment to kick differently. It's not intuitive, but it is effective. Consequently, many divers have discarded them because they really have no idea how to make them work. The "Nature's Wing" manufacturers could have done a far better job to educate the older divers.

I also avoid splits when diving in an overhead environment. The frog kick is not nearly as efficient with them, but I have perfected a scull technique that requires very little effort to use.

does changing my booties help me solve my leg pains (at the top arch)?

Lemme answer that one. My booties were made and sold by same company that sold me my ExpertZooms split fins. Mine have a angle built into the fin. I don't have the "stress" or the leg pains. However, I think it is becuase you may not be swimming properly with the spit fins. It tool me a little while to learn how to kick with them...and now I will never switch. Yeah, kicking TIGHTER is the key. I almost use a bycicle pedaling motion when using my split fins...not quite but very similar. Keeps the fins tight and I can really "feel" myself changing gears so to speak when i put on a burst od speed or some such. ALl my friends had ordered them as well 'cause now they can't keep up with me! "member the old saying? "you don't have to swim faster than the shark...just faster than your dive buddy!" LOL

BTW: Yes, i use stiffer boots that are 7mm Titanium, so they tremendously as support. Plus have a heel edge that keeps strap from slipping as well as a reinforced toe area. Nice Size 12DD

Well since we are on the issue of split fins, would like to know what the opinions are in regards to the below split fns. Is one better than the other? In your opinion, which one is "value for money" ?. Which one takes a licking and keeps going? Which one is positive or negative bouyant?:

1) Apollo bio fins
2) Force fins original
3) Tusa split fins
4) Atomic split fins
5) Scuba Pro Twin Jet

P/S-Any specialty course on the proper techniques of kicking with split fins?. Ha...ha...ha...ha

Tusa's ended up being the best for me, tend to use a shorter kick stroke, my knees and do not get sore anymore, have'nt had a cramp since getting them even after working with students all day.

Calvinator:
I have a pair of Apollo Bio Fins which I used it only on one dive trip. It made the "top arch" of my foot ache throughout the divetrip. Suppose the foot pocket design did not really suit the shape of my foot. I now have them on exhibit in a LDS for sale as a pair of used fins. Anyway, to cut the story short, I still feel that I wanna get another pair of SPLIT FINS! Any to recommend?

P.S. Have Atomic Split Fins in mind cause, one of the LDS here has a very special price for me.

You can try TUSA FF9. currently using it myself, find it super comfy when wearing, powerful when kicking & light when carrying. u can find it in 1utama, global scubal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom