Any split fins to recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm curious what holes you see in this argument.

Propulsion is propulsion. The current either adds to or subtracts from your propulsion, but as such, it's a constant. So, a fin that offers more propulsion in still water also offers more propulsion in currents, no matter whether it is split or not...

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm curious what holes you see in this argument.

Propulsion is propulsion. The current either adds to or subtracts from your propulsion, but as such, it's a constant. So, a fin that offers more propulsion in still water also offers more propulsion in currents, no matter whether it is split or not...

I'm just unsure whether the actual "results" of split fins is the same in calm waters as well as "turbulent" waters (with current). You see, in engineering, we have to use the correct tools for the correct kind of application. For example, using a Philips head screwdriver with a Philips screw, and not the flat-head screwdriver with the Philips screw. The flat-head screwdriver may work, just that it's not as efficient as the Philips head screwdriver, cause the Philips screwdriver is specially meant for the Philips screw. The same "may" go for the type of fins too... Splits may be for calm waters, and paddle may be for "turbulent" or waters with currents, although the splits may work too. So, it doesn't mean that splits are totally useless, but what I mean is, it may not be just as efficient as the paddles.

I can answer that. At least, in my own experience. Other people might have diff opinions. I have used the Zooms split fin with the angle and they are a huge improvement in calm water. I am outdistancing everyone who used to keep up with or beat me. Plus I use less oxygen then i used to. Now, that is a fact backed up by my log books and such. Now, do they perform like that in a stiff current? Yes and no.
By that I mean that they do help me to swim easier and with less oxygen use then the paddle types. But since you are bucking a current, obviously it will slow you down. But that applies to paddle fins also. I find myself using the split fins every time out regardless of water conditions becuase they do work. 3 of my friends have bought them because of what they have seen. So, in my opinion, split fins are at least comparable to paddles in a current and I think, better also.They definatley have helped my swimming form.

Getting back to Calvin's question on the foot pocket not having a proper fit, try changing your booties. Try booties of different make and design and sometimes it will solve the problem of having blisters or aches on the feet. I experienced blisters on my toes when I use Seikodive booties with my Mares avanti fins. Problem solved after switching to Oceanic booties.

True that air consumption is lower with the split fins. When faced with a situation where you are up against strong current, regardless of the kind of fins used, the logical thing to do is to stay as close to the ocean bed as possible and find some rocks to hold on to. Then try to "climb" your way out of the current. Trying to swim head on against the current is suicide.

Calvinator:
I'm just unsure whether the actual "results" of split fins is the same in calm waters as well as "turbulent" waters (with current). You see, in engineering, we have to use the correct tools for the correct kind of application. For example, using a Philips head screwdriver with a Philips screw, and not the flat-head screwdriver with the Philips screw. The flat-head screwdriver may work, just that it's not as efficient as the Philips head screwdriver, cause the Philips screwdriver is specially meant for the Philips screw. The same "may" go for the type of fins too... Splits may be for calm waters, and paddle may be for "turbulent" or waters with currents, although the splits may work too. So, it doesn't mean that splits are totally useless, but what I mean is, it may not be just as efficient as the paddles.

I don't believe this analogy fits the situation too well. A diver moving through water, no matter what speed the water is moving... a faster fin will be faster - with a tail current, a head current, or no current.

To use your example, if you want to screw in a philips screw - a philips screwdriver is best - whether you are screwing that screw into wood, plastic, or metal. It won't be that a flat head will be better for metal, but the phillips is better for wood.

Right on Larry. If one was to compare on the basis of per kick cycle trust, I reckoned you will see the whole picture. Paddle fins will give higher per kick cycle trust so once you have gained forward momentum then you will need to kick less (semi drift). As for the split fins, the per kick turst is much lower and thus you will have to do more kick cycles to cover the same distance. So does this conserve air usage?

P/s-I am still searching for a reason to upgrade to split fins.

Tim Wong:
Right on Larry. If one was to compare on the basis of per kick cycle trust, I reckoned you will see the whole picture. Paddle fins will give higher per kick cycle trust so once you have gained forward momentum then you will need to kick less (semi drift). As for the split fins, the per kick turst is much lower and thus you will have to do more kick cycles to cover the same distance. So does this conserve air usage?

P/s-I am still searching for a reason to upgrade to split fins.

Actually, in trying them and experimenting against some other fins, the "thrust per cycle" is virturally the same as any other fin. If it takes 10 kick cycles to do a lap of the pool, it takes 10 with the bios too... the difference is how much easier it is to do those 10 kicks with the bios. Less effort means less cramps, less muscle used, less O2 needed.

I've yet to have anyone with an open mind, hop in my pool, try them, and not get them.

scubatoys:
Actually, in trying them and experimenting against some other fins, the "thrust per cycle" is virturally the same as any other fin. If it takes 10 kick cycles to do a lap of the pool, it takes 10 with the bios too... the difference is how much easier it is to do those 10 kicks with the bios. Less effort means less cramps, less muscle used, less O2 needed.

I've yet to have anyone with an open mind, hop in my pool, try them, and not get them.

From a physics sense, the thrust is created by the amount of surface area on the fins coming into contact with the water and the surface "bits" into the water on the downward kick to create an opposite reaction which moves the diver forward. The bigger the ship the bigger the propellers. Bigger propellers have bigger surface area.

Back
Top Bottom