any scuba "yard sales" in the NOVA area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if any of the shops hold a "yard sale" in the NOVA area. I have some gear I would like to sell and seems like it would be a convenient way to sell some pre-loved gear.

Thank you in advance :)

Hello! I haven't seen anything like that from the shops up here.

When I lived in Virginia Beach/Norfolk LDC would do them once in a while but I think it was the shop selling their excess not open to the public to sell stuff. Been a long time.

I would think the shops don't like used market stuff competing against new market stuff.

I have bought an item or two off of Craigslist in NoVA/DC/MD but it's very hit or miss. Facebook Marketplace has taken a good chunk of Craigslist traffic and is another viable option.

Just because it doesn't exist now doesn't mean it can't in the future!

Might be able to start a yearly or bi-yearly swap meet for the stuff that isn't tied to a shop? Parking lot kind of thing like the ham radio people do?

Might be able to start a yearly or bi-yearly swap meet for the stuff that isn't tied to a shop? Parking lot kind of thing like the ham radio people do?
In the Houston area is or was the Bay Area Divers swap meet, held once a year. Members could sell their pre-loved gear for a nominal fee, non-members were charged a bit more, on your honor. It was a great way to meet new divers and join a local (big) club, and they had a roach coach to cater. Held under a big tent in a parking lot.

do dive clubs even exist any more?

There are still some dive clubs! Here in Northern Virginia/DC/MD there is one via Meetup.com that is shop independent:

Washington Area Scuba Club: A DC/VA/MD Scuba Meetup Group (Washington, DC)

I think Virginia Scuba has a club at their shop as well.

The yearly swap meet sounds cool. It is something the DC Scuba group could potentially do but it would take a while to build the momentum I think (for both buyers and sellers.)

Thanks for sharing this info. I have a backplate and wing but the wing is for doubles and I only dive single tanks so I'm looking for someone in the opposite situation (has singles wing looking to move up to doubles) to trade.

Thank you all. Well, maybe someone will organize a "swap" meet. I would participate :)

I tried to look back through my ancient emails and can't find it anywhere, but I am positive there was a scuba swap meet or used gear sale thing that used to happen annually. I want to say it was at a hotel in MD or something, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was or who put it on. I think the last time I went must have been back in 2002-2005 or so. I know it wasn't affiliated with Nova Tech or Patowmack Divers, but could possibly have been an Atlantis Rangers thing...not sure if they are even still around.

Thank you :) Well, maybe we will find one :)
We could prob organize one if there is enough interest.

have you try posting on Craigslist DC/MD/VA ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom