Any reports from Pt. Lobos in today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wave model for today (Saturday) did not look good. We called off the dive at Pt. Lobos for the first time ever. A smart decision. Went to Breakwater, o ring blew, replaced, entered buddy got blasted by a wave and lost his new mask, helped him up, called the dive. Just not good karma. First time I've called a dive.

We noticed latter there was a dive boat at the Metridium Fields. I've never seen a dive boat there. The a huge whale watching boat with 40 people on it followed some seals inside the dive boat about 40 feet of water. It was way too close and exactly where we were going to dive. That was very dangerous for that huge boat to be in a diving area. I am glad we did not dive there.

While still in dry suit at the Breakwater stairs noticed a couple get knocked down hard and were struggling on the beach getting the white water enema. Ran down to the woman her leg was bent behind her, she was on her back squealing for help. My buddy and I quickly got her BCD off with disconnects, helped her up and brought her up beach safely. My buddy ran back to the man where he was sort of standing with his tank dangling a foot from the beach. He lifted and secured his tank and brought him up the beach safely. We carried up their gear to the showers. They were freaked but were very thankful.

I guess that was a good reason for calling our dive. We were at the right place at the right time to help fellow divers.

The wave model is even higher for Sunday and I would recommend diving another day.

Boogie,

The boat you saw anchored at the Metridiums was me on the Silver Prince... I'll post my report with video and pics when I get home... :)

Thanks. Sierras here i come :) they have tons of snow :)

Meh. The diving wasn't much better up here at Lake Tahoe - and judging by the line of cars going into Squaw, there's no way I'd have been skiing on those overcrowded slopes!

UV2603Apr2010.jpg

All the best, James

The wave model for today (Saturday) did not look good. We called off the dive at Pt. Lobos for the first time ever. A smart decision.

I think it was a good call, it was quite rough :). Experience/training/equipment and a solid experienced team makes a big difference in safety when it comes to diving rougher conditions.

While still in dry suit at the Breakwater stairs noticed a couple get knocked down hard and were struggling on the beach getting the white water enema. Ran down to the woman her leg was bent behind her, she was on her back squealing for help. My buddy and I quickly got her BCD off with disconnects, helped her up and brought her up beach safely. My buddy ran back to the man where he was sort of standing with his tank dangling a foot from the beach. He lifted and secured his tank and brought him up the beach safely. We carried up their gear to the showers. They were freaked but were very thankful.

We were also quite concerned about the couple & were very happy to see you reach them first & help them safely out. Hopefully this good deed brings you even better scuba karma!

Safe diving!

Wow, I ride my bike pass this area on my way to Barker Pass Road in the summer. Hope they finished all the road work on Hwy.89. Definitely intrepid to brave the topside weather to dive this timebof year.

Claudehl

Meh. The diving wasn't much better up here at Lake Tahoe - and judging by the line of cars going into Squaw, there's no way I'd have been skiing on those overcrowded slopes!

All the best, James

Other than the temperature, does the diving ever change in Tahoe?

Except for water temperature (and the summer thermocline), no, not much.

There's a thermocline at about 50 feet, usually from June through November. The top layer will get as warm as 62 degrees in summer. Below, maybe 52 degrees. From 150 feet deep and down, it's always cold, in the mid to low 40's.

Right now the lake is a nice, even 40 degrees everywhere.

The environment doesn't really change, although the vis will gradually deteriorate as the lake warms up for the summer. Right now, the vis is 60'-70', the best we've seen in quite a while.

..And it's harder to get to the water in the winter, too, I suppose...

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom