Any reports from Pt. Lobos in today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Going to pt. Lobos tomorrow , not sure if worth the drive.

Hi Andrew,
We were at Lobos this morning. Kinda depends on what your're expecting and used to. We expected and experienced really large surface swells and surge sets, and viz between 5 and 15 ft. But we still had a really nice dive that was more blue than green, and saw a cooperative guitarfish (second time seeing one at Lobos) and some large rockfish.

There were a couple of other dive teams there who called it in the parking lot and went to look for calmer waters elsewhere.

Definitey not one of the optimal days for Lobos, but can still be worth it if you're use to less-than-ideal conditions.

Thanks. Sierras here i come :) they have tons of snow :)

Hi Andrew,

We called Lobos from the parking lot.

Headed out to BW instead and ended up diving in about 6' surge and 2-5ft vis.

We saw some people tumbling in exits/entries. If you are experienced & time it right you'd be ok...

But I think the Sierras are a better call! Have fun!

Thanks. Sierras here i come :) they have tons of snow :)

If you can/must pick and choose your days to dive, I'd say that's definitely the right choice :) Definitely heard Tahoe just got some great snow, enjoy the carving!!

We should really start commute group:) i hate wasting gas on MOnterey trips.

There were a couple of other dive teams there who called it in the parking lot and went to look for calmer waters elsewhere.
This team member called it before Friday! Just way to far of a drive for me with only the possibility for diving in craptastic conditions. After hearing the reports I am glad I found other things to do this weekend.

The snow report sounds great, and we are headed there next weekend for some snowboarding since it is the end of the season. I haven't stepped on a snowboard in probably 5 years, and haven't ridden a board since busting up my knee, two years ago, on an indy tantrum. I'll just have to strap in regular footed :eyebrow: After all to a newbie falling down I will still look like a pro LOL I can teach them as long as I can slide down the hill with them and that is all that matters. Well the smiles anyway.

The wave model for today (Saturday) did not look good. We called off the dive at Pt. Lobos for the first time ever. A smart decision. Went to Breakwater, o ring blew, replaced, entered buddy got blasted by a wave and lost his new mask, helped him up, called the dive. Just not good karma. First time I've called a dive.

We noticed latter there was a dive boat at the Metridium Fields. I've never seen a dive boat there. The a huge whale watching boat with 40 people on it followed some seals inside the dive boat about 40 feet of water. It was way too close and exactly where we were going to dive. That was very dangerous for that huge boat to be in a diving area. I am glad we did not dive there.

While still in dry suit at the Breakwater stairs noticed a couple get knocked down hard and were struggling on the beach getting the white water enema. Ran down to the woman her leg was bent behind her, she was on her back squealing for help. My buddy and I quickly got her BCD off with disconnects, helped her up and brought her up beach safely. My buddy ran back to the man where he was sort of standing with his tank dangling a foot from the beach. He lifted and secured his tank and brought him up the beach safely. We carried up their gear to the showers. They were freaked but were very thankful.

I guess that was a good reason for calling our dive. We were at the right place at the right time to help fellow divers.

The wave model is even higher for Sunday and I would recommend diving another day.

White water enema...ain't that the truth!:rofl3:

First time I've called a dive.

I am perfectly happy to call a dive and go for a hike or food :D There are plenty of other things to do during the day. Sounds like you learned that even a small wave can easily take you out. The bigger ones are best left alone.

Back
Top Bottom