Any Practices For Indicating Divers Have Penetrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That might be asking for trouble.

catherine96821:
so an item like a snorkel or small slat is a universal recog. sign for wreckers.

So...a snorkel is tied off at the entry?

I have never heard of that...

thanks. If you use a slate..do you write something, like a number, on it, or anything?

Well you have now heard of a snorkel as an active marker indicating the current use of a line...done quite often,,,not to mention a slate at the outside tie in,,,put the date and what ever else you want on it......:wink: Happy and safe diving!

catherine96821:
I am wondering if there are any regional or agency protocols for indicating to subsequent divers that a team of divers has penetrated a wreck or given section of a ship?

I worry about who might come after me and occupy much of the space, or disrupt the visibility, or have an OOA, etc.

Makes a girl want a "Do Not Disturb Sign".

The line that you tie off outside the wreck (primary tie) will let people know.

catherine96821:
I am wondering if there are any regional or agency protocols for indicating to subsequent divers that a team of divers has penetrated a wreck or given section of a ship?

I worry about who might come after me and occupy much of the space, or disrupt the visibility, or have an OOA, etc.

Makes a girl want a "Do Not Disturb Sign".
The amount of silt. :wink:

and/or

Sometimes a line.

H2Andy:
not sure about wrecks, but in cave diving, you can usually tell a team is in ahead of you by their guideline to the mainline and/or deco tanks left close to the entrance

(very few cave lines get left around for more than a few days, at most)

but ... even if you know there's a team in there, you're still going to go in

there really is no way from stopping someone coming in after you from doing their dive

In a cave I would definitely go on in. On a wreck? I would definitely think twice about running a second line into the same entrance. Realistically, I'd either choose a different entrance or decide not to penetrate unless the corridors were plenty big to avoid any CF's

SCUBAJENNIFER:
Catherine....This sounds like a question for Jeff :D

I believe he may be the expert in this field....

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
What? Penetrating old wrecks?

JeffG:
What? Penetrating old wrecks?

ok, let's please keep this clean

:eyebrow:

limeyx:
On a wreck? I would definitely think twice about running a second line into the same entrance. Realistically, I'd either choose a different entrance or decide not to penetrate unless the corridors were plenty big to avoid any CF's
Absolutely.

The thing with wrecks is that the vis is going to go to crap. The only real question is when.

I might start an Oahu protocol and take a plastic hotel room sign and mark "Do not enter/ Divers inside"

Tourists are pretty good about doing what they are asked to do...if they "know"

because otherwise...if they see you in there they tend to want to come in too, in reality.

I think I will change my status sign to "This Old Wreck"
I can take it, love to see ya'll pushing 50.
Check back with me in 20 years, punks

I hear stem cell injections are right around the corner..

catherine96821:
I might start an Oahu protocol and take a plastic hotel sign and mark "Do not enter/ Divers inside"

Tourists are pretty good about doing what they are asked to do...if they "know"

because otherwise...if they see you in there they tend to want to come in too, in reality.
Make it say "Gone Fishing...Be back later"

catherine96821:
I think I will change my status sign to "This Old Wreck"
I can take it, love to see ya'll pushing 50.
Check back with me in 20 years, punks
You are the best Catherine. I'm not worthy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom