Any Practices For Indicating Divers Have Penetrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any regional or agency protocols for indicating to subsequent divers that a team of divers has penetrated a wreck or given section of a ship?

I worry about who might come after me and occupy much of the space, or disrupt the visibility, or have an OOA, etc.

Makes a girl want a "Do Not Disturb Sign".

well, it sounds like there are a lot of old lines left in place?

I'm thinking in terms of keeping people out, once I am in.

Maybe I plan certain spaces are only suitable for two divers, for example.

If four more enter later, we have a mess. We have turned our dive and "they" have a different plan.

catherine96821:
well, it sounds like there are a lot of old lines left in place?

I'm thinking in terms of keeping people out, once I am in.

Maybe I plan certain spaces are only suitable for two divers, for example.

If four more enter later, we have a mess. We have turned our dive and "they" have a different plan.
I have never heard of anyone keeping others out of an area. If you want to let other divers know you are in an area drop a cookie on your primary tie off and the next diver along may not want to go to the same area. Short of a keep out sign most wrecks are pretty much open playgrounds for divers.

One method used on wrecks to indicate a line/area is active with a team is to secure such as a snorkel at the outside tie-in.....works everytime.

Something like that should be determined on the boat before everyone splashes. Penetrations should be planned and discussed with everyone on the boat before you hit the water. But there are no organizational mandates that I know of.

not sure about wrecks, but in cave diving, you can usually tell a team is in ahead of you by their guideline to the mainline and/or deco tanks left close to the entrance

(very few cave lines get left around for more than a few days, at most)

but ... even if you know there's a team in there, you're still going to go in

there really is no way from stopping someone coming in after you from doing their dive

andy,what would your shrimp do in a situation like that?:D

divinginn:
andy,what would your shrimp do in a situation like that?:D

:rofl3:

my shrimp don't need no stinkin' line ... they use infraredxratedpolarized sensor arrays

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom