Any plans for Galileo Luna/Sol to have a OLED display in 2017?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I was wondering if Scubapro was planning on having an LED or OLED display on the Galileo Luna/Sol dive computers for 2017?

It would be a great, visibility wise!

I haven't purchased one yet, but I have heard many great reviews on these dive computers.

That question has been asked for the last 5 years. I remember asking about OLED at a workshop, and was told "we are releasing a computer that you will absolutely love." The computer was the Meridian. It will be nice if Scubapro did release a computer with OLED.

During the nineties, Uwatec designed among the best diving computers. Best algorithm, best reliability, best UI. At the time, their Aladin family was exactly what Shearwater is nowadays. Now their innovation push is basically exhausted: just look how can be innovative their latest Aladin Square or how thei failed to abandon IRDA interface in 2016. (We could write the same for the new Mares Quad. Probably they found an Aladin lost project file form the past :) ).
Now Scubapro bought Seabear: probably they find it's easier to buy ready to use technology (and a bunch of patents) than resuscitate Uwatec.

AMEN

EDIT: I'm not playing at bashing Scubapro. It's really a shame seeing a so huge lacking of innovation from a so renowned brand. I hope to be proven wrong asap.

Especially after their latest two bombs. Meridian was a joke with the battery problems and the Mantis looks like a 1970's computer. Please SCUBAPRO do not add "Human Factors" to the Seabear. Do not mess it up.

My major concern is that Scubapro will step in and re-design the Sea Bear computers to be more like the current Scuabpro offerings, and/or get into the same old habits, patterns, and "features" that made the more recent Scubapro computers utterly useless.

I suspect that unless they provide the Luna and Galileo with new screens, the Seabear will render those "old reliables" immediately obsolete. It is sad to see such a good company lag so badly in the computer department. Everyone of note has had a color screen out there for a while except SP. Their computers look so dated. They acquired SB about a year ago - I would be surprised to NOT see a major announcement at DEMA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom