Any other young divers in R.I, can anybody recommend an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmazonAquatics

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys I am 13 years old and from Rhode Island. I just got back from a vacation to Cancun where I did a 1 hour diving lesson in the pool and loved it so I decided that when I got back home I was going to get certified. I am now back home and am starting to look for dive shops or instructors to get certified. I am not going to get certified for a couple of months until the warm weather comes but I decided that I would start my search now. These are the two places that I have found locally that offer an open water class

layout

Newport Diving Center - Open Water - Beginning Scuba Diving Classes

Are their any other young people from Rhode Island that can reccommend a good instuctor or people that now of an instructor that is good with kids? Thanks

A quick search on PADIS website also brought up these places, if anybody has any experience with any of these places please let me know:

Anderson's Ski & Dive Center, Inc. S-2662
1. 5865 Post Road
East Greenwich
Rhode Island UNITED STATES
02818-1802
Ph.: (401) 884-1310
Fax: (401) 884-2100

Giant Stride Dive Shop S-20209
1. 1935 A Warwick Avenue
Warwick
Rhode Island UNITED STATES
Ph.: (401) 732-8808
Fax: (401) 732-8848

East Bay Dive Center S-319
1. 8 Church Street
Warren
Rhode IslandUNITED STATES
Ph.: (401) 247-2420
Fax: (401) 245-7926

What part of RI are you in?

I sent you A Private Message.
But there a quite a few Private Padi Instructors thoughout the state. You don't have to go to a shop since none have a pool the training is conducted off site.

I'm in Coventry, Rhode Island. Neptune, I will have one of my parents give you a call when the warmer weather comes. Thanks

Welcome to the board AA, don't rule out your local YMCA, they usually run sessions in the spring and fall. The price can be a bit better and the same instructors as the area shops use usually teach the classes. They will certify PADI or YMCA at the end, most people go with PADI as that is the most widely accepted in all the vacation areas.

Well you're off to a great start....doing your research now to find a good instructor and making sure your parents call the creepy guy that sent you a private message.

Ha ha, I'm kidding about the creepy guy thing, I don't even know him but seriously it's very smart of you to research in advance and have your parents call.

One of my good friends is an instructor here in MA and he has experience teaching people your age. (He has a daughter your age drysuit diving). It would be more convenient for you/your parents to have a closer instructor/dive shop though.

Good luck with the search. I wish I started at your age!

Way to go guys...support that local dive shop! Check out Giant Stride Dive Shop in Warwick...It is well stocked and operated by People who dive regularly. Instructors are both experienced and patient but I am biased because I own the store and try to operate it anticipating the needs of spearfisherman, tech, sport, and travel divers. Look everywhere else first then give my store a look. Good Luck, Red

I was certified through Giant Stride who connected me to Chris Parker. He was really great, as was Red in helping me with renting the gear.

As for advanced, I certified with David Swain in Jamestown, who is no longer teaching.

Seriously, though, if it wasn't for Chris Parker, I doubt I would have fallen in love with diving. He made me feel so comfortable and did not rush anything.

Hey, I just now realized that Red just posted above. Red, Chris Parker is phenomenal!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom