any opinions on sony DCS-P9 and housing MPK-P9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnappa

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking into purchasing my first digital camera. Any feedback or suggestons on DCSP9 and MPK-P9 housing would be highly appriciated

thanks

Claire:walking:

I just got this camera for my wife. It's an incredible camera. The housing is also super. The only disadvantage is no external storbe. Obviously the little camera strobe is not enough light for deep shots. Works well for closeups and on night dives.
I think its a super camera. Pic quality is excellent.

I have a DSC-P5 and have been using almost a year now, 50 dives, and 1800 pictures later. I'm here to tell you it is a great little camera and does a wonderfull job underwater. Today's SPUD is with a P9, SPUD.

I do have to disaggree with Devilfish, you do not need an external flash. The flash has plenty of power and in fact I leave mine on minimum power. The trick is to get close and use the macro feature. If your out of flash range then your to far anyway. There's a slideshow (on my web page of shots with the P5 with the internal flash.
Home Page

You can always add a flash later on if you feel the need. It will greatly increase the camera's size, I slip mine under a BC strap when I want to be a diver instead of a photographer. If you add the flash, you lose this option.

Yeah, I agree it's a great camera. Like Cecil I have the P5 and MPK-P5 marine pack housing which is pretty similar to the P9. I'm very happy with the setup.

The pictures were excellent! We were down 120+ feet and the shots were clear and incredible. I don't think you need to consider a separate strobe unless you use it for night dives.

The divers who had it were from Holland, and they just put it in the BC pocket, took it out, snapped away, and then put it back in the pocket.

I was a bit envious as I had my video (ok, so it is digital too but bigger) and I had to wait to get back to my room to rewind and view ... but they shared and I really enjoyed their pictures.

My next purchase may be a video still ... just for the size and convenience.

I'll post a dive report later -- we spent 10 days on Saba. Today is the first day back in the "other" world called work.

Incredible diving,

Margaret

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom