Any opinions on Poseidon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parts are readily available through DGX, as is servicing. The manuals for the Jetstream are a little hard to follow, but they are available. I've had a couple of Jetstream sets for a few years now, and I dive them in addition to my Aqua Lung and Scubapro regs. They are a bit different, but great breathers overall.

I have generally found the manuals to be quite straightforward.

The current Jetstream model, pairs the original second stage, from the 1980s, to the Mk3 (XStream first stage, from the early 2000s). Aside from a slightly lower IP setting than than in the old days (once about 10, now 8.5 bar), little has really changed, in terms of its function.

No longer does one have to jump through any hoops in cold water with the Mk3. There are no requirements for vodka or glycerin-filled antifreeze caps, that had always been the order of the day. I, admittedly, white-knuckled it the first time with the XStream, under freezing conditions, in the Northeast; but, aside from some minor ice accumulation on its exterior, breathing always remained effortless.

My pony, however, had been fitted with an older model Cyklon, along with a traditional antifreeze cap -- just in case.

Here is a more current manual, for those interested . . .

Attachments

• Service Manual-Jetstream Mk3-ENG.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 101
In response to the OP, Poseidon has been around since 1958; and they're here to stay.

I have used every model produced since the mid-1970s -- and use nothing else, given the varied and extreme circumstances, that they have put through, without failure, over four decades, from ice to the tropics. I am currently overhauling both a Cyklon 300 that has seen thousands of dives (as well as being my first regulator), along with an Odin (Jetstream in Europe), from thirty years back.

They breathe like a dream, if you know what you are doing. Provided that they are well-tuned, they are no "louder" than any other brand; they don't "blow" air at you, as some still care to claim, if the IP is actually set to specs; they remain dry in any position in the water; and parts, as others have already said, are now far simpler to obtain, than ever before, even on the retail market. Try purchasing a ScubaPro service kit.

Back when they were distributed by Parkway, years ago, obtaining anything was a colossal pain in the arse; and recycling parts was often the rule of the day. I had a diaphragm that lasted five or more years, flipped like a flapjack with each servicing; and that issue of jaw fatigue, as someone previously mentioned, has never once posed an issue.

Despite the ongoing rumor mill, hoses have long been standardized and sundry adaptors are readily available, even for decades-old models.

Even the Cyklon 300s are still quite popular, on the secondary market, parts being readily available, though had been discontinued since 1993; we have a drawer full, and often use them for simple diving as well as stage or pony bottles. They were bulletproof; dirt-simple to maintain and the 2305 model only possessed three o-rings in their first stages. The rest were semi-permanent nylon gaskets, some of which haven't required replacement since Clinton and a particular blue dress.

In terms of price, they are, admittedly, on the more expensive side, though holiday sales still abound (I picked up a Jetstream MK3 for US 600.00 last year, for my niece; she loves it); but some ScubaPro models exceed their prices.

Techs have always posed an issue with diving, not simply with Poseidon; hence the thriving DIY community here -- all hail @rsingler. Typically, the only training most receive, regardless of brand, is a brief seminar at a Sheraton conference room, typically without any requirement to actually tune anything . . .
Is that a Poseidon Junior in that drawer? :cool:

I have generally found the manuals to be quite straightforward.

The current Jetstream model, pairs the original second stage, from the 1980s, to the Mk3 (XStream first stage, from the early 2000s). Aside from a slightly lower IP setting than than in the old days (once about 10, now 8.5 bar), little has really changed, in terms of its function.

No longer does one have to jump through any hoops in cold water with the Mk3. There are no requirements for vodka or glycerin-filled antifreeze caps, that had always been the order of the day. I, admittedly, white-knuckled it the first time with the XStream, under freezing conditions, in the Northeast; but, aside from some minor ice accumulation on its exterior, breathing always remained effortless.

My pony, however, had been fitted with an older model Cyklon, along with a traditional antifreeze cap -- just in case.

Here is a more current manual, for those interested . . .
Hmmm. Got one like that for Cyklon? Particularly one that tells me how to ID the damn pressure spring in the first state? I foolishly put them all together in the bath only then realizing the 3880 first stage uses a 2923 pressure spring vs the old 1180 and now I can't them them apart...
Mahalo for any hints!!

Is that a Poseidon Junior in that drawer? :cool:
Yes and no. It is a Barakuda Cyklomat, produced by Poseidon / Aqua Sports, for a German diving company, almost identical to the Cyklon Junior.

Yes I can confirm the early Poseidon gauges are 1/8G thread. Any descent machinist could make a 1/8G to 7/16-20 UNF adapter or Omniswivel may have it. 3/8-24UNF is for LP hoses.

VR

Roland

Hmmm. Got one like that for Cyklon? Particularly one that tells me how to ID the damn pressure spring in the first state? I foolishly put them all together in the bath only then realizing the 3880 first stage uses a 2923 pressure spring vs the old 1180 and now I can't them them apart...
Mahalo for any hints!!
Here are a couple of catalogue listings (courtesy of Silent Explorers), along with a manual and a shot of a spare; though there had been an overlap in the use of some adjustment springs (2802, for example, seen below, used singly or sometimes in tandem with the smaller 3418, depending upon the model) -- from the Cyklon 300, through the 2900 series, to the 3790 versions. That 1180 was intended for both the piston and the OPV in some models, as the listing describes.

I hope that that helps . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 10.32.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 10.32.30 AM.png
    341.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Service Manual-Cyklon 5000-3950-ENG.pdf
    14.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 1571E6AA-20B4-469F-96C1-E5D0C8AA5391.jpeg
    1571E6AA-20B4-469F-96C1-E5D0C8AA5391.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 11.36.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 11.36.31 AM.png
    435.6 KB · Views: 33
Here are a couple of catalogue listings (courtesy of Silent Explorers), along with a manual and a shot of a spare; though there had been an overlap in the use of some adjustment springs (2802, for example, seen below, used singly or sometimes in tandem with the smaller 3418, depending upon the model) -- from the Cyklon 300, through the 2900 series, to the 3790 versions. That 1180 was intended for both the piston and the OPV in some models, as the listing describes.

I hope that that helps . . .
Oh you da man! Mahalo for the service manual. Beats my ancient versions by a long shot and confirms the notion that on a 3720, both springs are 1180s. Maybe there is something funny about the 3880 first, as it suggests the main HP spring is the other type (#39 in the drawing).
As for the IP spring, 2802 seems to have long been either with or without the secondary inner spring. I want to say the older 2xxx style with the thicker rubber diaphragm came with it... But now I am guessing.

As a new diver I am trying to put together an outfit. I am here to solicit opinions on POSEIDON SCUBA DIVE JETSTREAM MK3 regulators. Are these good regulators that I could grow into? Is poseidon a company that has been around and will be around so I can always have parts for the regulators? Thanks
scuga,

I used Jetstream doubles sets from the beginning, rock solid, very few parts just wonderful!

Recently upgraded to Xstream (black finish). I really like them, lighter, quieter, breath like magic!

Best of luck with your purchase!

Rose

Back
Top Bottom