Any opinions on Poseidon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In response to the OP, Poseidon has been around since 1958; and they're here to stay.

I have used every model produced since the mid-1970s -- and use nothing else, given the varied and extreme circumstances, that they have put through, without failure, over four decades, from ice to the tropics. I am currently overhauling both a Cyklon 300 that has seen thousands of dives (as well as being my first regulator), along with an Odin (Jetstream in Europe), from thirty years back.

They breathe like a dream, if you know what you are doing. Provided that they are well-tuned, they are no "louder" than any other brand; they don't "blow" air at you, as some still care to claim, if the IP is actually set to specs; they remain dry in any position in the water; and parts, as others have already said, are now far simpler to obtain, than ever before, even on the retail market. Try purchasing a ScubaPro service kit.

Back when they were distributed by Parkway, years ago, obtaining anything was a colossal pain in the arse; and recycling parts was often the rule of the day. I had a diaphragm that lasted five or more years, flipped like a flapjack with each servicing; and that issue of jaw fatigue, as someone previously mentioned, has never once posed an issue.

Despite the ongoing rumor mill, hoses have long been standardized and sundry adaptors are readily available, even for decades-old models.

Even the Cyklon 300s are still quite popular, on the secondary market, parts being readily available, though had been discontinued since 1993; we have a drawer full, and often use them for simple diving as well as stage or pony bottles. They were bulletproof; dirt-simple to maintain and the 2305 model only possessed three o-rings in their first stages. The rest were semi-permanent nylon gaskets, some of which haven't required replacement since Clinton and a particular blue dress.

In terms of price, they are, admittedly, on the more expensive side, though holiday sales still abound (I picked up a Jetstream MK3 for US 600.00 last year, for my niece; she loves it); but some ScubaPro models exceed their prices.

Techs have always posed an issue with diving, not simply with Poseidon; hence the thriving DIY community here -- all hail @rsingler. Typically, the only training most receive, regardless of brand, is a brief seminar at a Sheraton conference room, typically without any requirement to actually tune anything . . .

Attachments

• 88A6A5A3-C3D7-458B-9826-093C9B9EFBBE.jpeg
    88A6A5A3-C3D7-458B-9826-093C9B9EFBBE.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 61
Great regs , however , the jetsteam 2nd stage is like chomping on a dog bone , can you say jaw fatigue ...
disagree with that, they are no issue with my TMJ. Admittedly I use Omniswivel adapters on them, but even without them I've never had an issue, even on DPV. Their mouthpieces are really well made and the Apeks Comfobites work on there as well and really help. They are exceptionally light in the water which is very helpful for that as well.

I'm glad for that info. The main reason I started looking at these was it seemed that it would keep the exhaust away from my face but if they real loud I wouldn't be interested. Thanks for the responses.
They ceratinly aren’t better at keeping the bubbles out of your face in my experience, although I’ve heard others argue otherwise. When stationary and looking ahead they obliterate half your field of view with bubbles (the exhaust is actually closer to center and more in front of your face than traditional regs). As mentioned by someone else, the M1 with its longer exhaust T keeps bubbles out of your face much better.

I have been diving a Poseidon Odin/Jetstream for over 25 years and wouldn’t use anything else. I usually do a service every 3 years and parts have not been a problem until this year.

disagree with that, they are no issue with my TMJ. Admittedly I use Omniswivel adapters on them, but even without them I've never had an issue, even on DPV. Their mouthpieces are really well made and the Apeks Comfobites work on there as well and really help. They are exceptionally light in the water which is very helpful for that as well.
DGE has many different models of Omniswivel. Which is the correct one for an Odin with the proprietary hose on it ?

DGE has many different models of Omniswivel. Which is the correct one for an Odin with the proprietary hose on it ?

You don't use the proprietary hose with the Omniswivels.
Cheap option. This is similar to what comes from Poseidon except @DiveGearExpress gets theirs from either ODS or WMD in Taiwan, most likely ODS. Both are very reputable regulator manufacturers though this is a basic adapter so it doesn't really matter where it's made, these work I have several. It is cheap and adapts to a regular second stage hose. If you have a 3960 or a MK3 first stage with the OPV built into the first stage then this is all you need. Sadly they have not gotten a similar adapter made for the Cyklon though I really wish there was a cheap option for those. I use these on the secondary second stage on single tank regulator setups and keep one in the save a dive kit.

Omniswivel makes at least 3 different versions of that adapter, but DGX only sells the most expensive one which is linked below. These are all machined in California fwiw which is part of the cost increase but they are also far more functional than the basic one above.
All three of them perform function 1 which adapts the regulator to a normal hose.
All three of them also perform the OPV function which is built into the Poseidon hoses. This is important because the Jetstream/Xstream need an OPV somewhere in the system to function in the event of IP creep. As said above it is built into the 3960 and MK3 first stages, and you can always put a screw in port plug OPV into any of the others but they all leak eventually and are generally annoying. I run most of my Poseidons on Deep6 Signature first stages so I need the OPV function.
The last is where the 3 models differ. They make the adapter in a straight version, a rigid elbow *not a fan except for FFM use with the Atmosphere*, and the ball swivels which is what is linked below and what I personally use. I also have the Cyklon version which does not have the OPV built in but does double duty of getting you to a normal hose while giving you the swivel in a single adapter which is nifty and makes the whole assembly a bit smaller than using the cheap adapter above plus a generic ball swivel like you can purchase from Cave Adventurers or the Omniswivel branded ones.

Just get the $16 hose adaptor from DGX and use any hose and/or generic $25 swivel henceforth, the Omniswivel Poseidon adaptor is a ridiculous $96.
View attachment 715332

Just get the $16 hose adaptor from DGX and use any hose and/or generic $25 swivel henceforth, the Omniswivel Poseidon adaptor is a ridiculous $96.
View attachment 715332
The attachment is not working. Is that a link to the $25 swivel you were referrring to?

You don't use the proprietary hose with the Omniswivels.
Cheap option. This is similar to what comes from Poseidon except @DiveGearExpress gets theirs from either ODS or WMD in Taiwan, most likely ODS. Both are very reputable regulator manufacturers though this is a basic adapter so it doesn't really matter where it's made, these work I have several. It is cheap and adapts to a regular second stage hose. If you have a 3960 or a MK3 first stage with the OPV built into the first stage then this is all you need. Sadly they have not gotten a similar adapter made for the Cyklon though I really wish there was a cheap option for those. I use these on the secondary second stage on single tank regulator setups and keep one in the save a dive kit.

Omniswivel makes at least 3 different versions of that adapter, but DGX only sells the most expensive one which is linked below. These are all machined in California fwiw which is part of the cost increase but they are also far more functional than the basic one above.
All three of them perform function 1 which adapts the regulator to a normal hose.
All three of them also perform the OPV function which is built into the Poseidon hoses. This is important because the Jetstream/Xstream need an OPV somewhere in the system to function in the event of IP creep. As said above it is built into the 3960 and MK3 first stages, and you can always put a screw in port plug OPV into any of the others but they all leak eventually and are generally annoying. I run most of my Poseidons on Deep6 Signature first stages so I need the OPV function.
The last is where the 3 models differ. They make the adapter in a straight version, a rigid elbow *not a fan except for FFM use with the Atmosphere*, and the ball swivels which is what is linked below and what I personally use. I also have the Cyklon version which does not have the OPV built in but does double duty of getting you to a normal hose while giving you the swivel in a single adapter which is nifty and makes the whole assembly a bit smaller than using the cheap adapter above plus a generic ball swivel like you can purchase from Cave Adventurers or the Omniswivel branded ones.
My Poseidon 1st stage is a model 3960. I previously purchased from DGE with hose adapter above, per your recommendation. I have not done anything with it yet. Perhaps, the thing for me to do is get a longer hose, put the adpater on it and the swivel and be a little more comfortable on long dives.

Back
Top Bottom