Any opinions on Poseidon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The attachment is not working. Is that a link to the $25 swivel you were referrring to?
Here’s an example of a generic swivel, $29 in this case.

Attachments

• 1648777963176.jpeg
    1648777963176.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 57
Just get the $16 hose adaptor from DGX and use any hose and/or generic $25 swivel henceforth, the Omniswivel Poseidon adaptor is a ridiculous $96.
View attachment 715332

not so ridiculous when you think that it's made in the USA vs made in Taiwan, also includes the OPV which is actually reliable, and does it all in a smaller package.
If you think of $16 for adapter + $30 for swivel + $5 for OPV then you're at $50 vs. $96. You're paying to support a small family owned business in the USA, an OPV that doesn't leak all the time *so realistically you need at least 5-6 of the OPV's thrown in because they are basically disposable every year*, and to have the whole package be smaller. For me the functioning OPV was the real reason that I spent the extra money and I actually use my 3960's on the rebreather because the port plug OPV's are all junk, but the smaller size is actually noticeable.

not so ridiculous when you think that it's made in the USA vs made in Taiwan, also includes the OPV which is actually reliable, and does it all in a smaller package.
If you think of $16 for adapter + $30 for swivel + $5 for OPV then you're at $50 vs. $96. You're paying to support a small family owned business in the USA, an OPV that doesn't leak all the time *so realistically you need at least 5-6 of the OPV's thrown in because they are basically disposable every year*, and to have the whole package be smaller. For me the functioning OPV was the real reason that I spent the extra money and I actually use my 3960's on the rebreather because the port plug OPV's are all junk, but the smaller size is actually noticeable.
Fair enough. I did not consider the adaptor OPV (or port plug OPV) since my Poseidons are young enough to have it built into the 1st stage (3960s from 1996).

Fair enough. I did not consider the adaptor OPV (or port plug OPV) since my Poseidons are young enough to have it built into the 1st stage (3960s from 1996).
Some of the Xstream first stages don't have them either which are weird, so there is a gray area. The last of the traditional designs had them but the first of the new design didn't and now they all have them which is convenient.

It's also worth mentioning the Cyklon second stage is a different special case... in which ordinary LP hoses will exhibit small "fizzing" leaks at the connection to the second stage inlet...

Because of the history behind the Cyklon model second stage, there is a compatibility issue with modern standard hose fittings. Poseidon USA advises us that they are aware of this behavior, limited exclusively to Cyklon model second stages, and to address this issue they offer Cyklon specific OEM heavy rubber hoses. We also find that swivel adapters, including our generics and the standard Omniswivel adapter, exhibit the issue to a greater degree. This special version of the Omniswivel adapter perfectly connects a standard low pressure regulator hose to the Cyklon fitting found on the Poseidon Cyklon second stage.

There is also a non-swivel version...

@DiveGearExpress the Cyklon uses metric threads, it is VERY close to the modern LP hose, but it is a 14x1.25mm if memory serves and should not be used with modern LP hoses. That is one point of contention with Poseidon that they haven't offered a cap "upgrade" for the back end though I imagine it would probably just cause confusion and be extremely difficult to ID which is which.

@DiveGearExpress the Cyklon uses metric threads, it is VERY close to the modern LP hose, but it is a 14x1.25mm if memory serves and should not be used with modern LP hoses. That is one point of contention with Poseidon that they haven't offered a cap "upgrade" for the back end though I imagine it would probably just cause confusion and be extremely difficult to ID which is which.
The threads are annoying but's not what causes the fizzing... the o-ring sealing post in the center of the hose fitting is slightly different too.

Thanks tbone1004. Yes, very early Poseidon. I’m guessing G1/8 female to 3/8 UNF male would work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom