Any opinions on Poseidon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the years the parts have been an issue as well as finding a good technician to work on them. A little more finicky of a reg. We have been servicing them since 1997 and have had a lot of divers sending these regs to us for the quality service. I just had a very pleasant experience dealing with their new distributor. Got parts no problem and fast delivery. When talking to them, they are committed to rebuilding their damaged reputation (parts availability). Hopefully they will be successful with this and my feeling is that they will.

Another option for less bubble interference is the Atomic M1's. They have a wider exhaust which creates less bubble interference. I personally use them and swear by them. Easy to get parts and work on. Anywhere you go in the world, someone should be able to help you out if you needed tec help because they are similar to Scuba Pro.

I still have a Cyklon 300 Poseidon reg circa 1976. It still breathes great. I keep a IP gauge and some tools in my save a dive kit. A good tech knows that the the IP is higher and some parts are a bit hard to come by. The Poseidon regulators are first class.

I have dived with Extremes and Cyclon's for many years. Admittedly I am in the UK, but there is no problem getting them serviced. The Cyclon's have been used by British cave divers since the '50's. I have never had problems with these excellent regs.

I have been diving 2 Poseidon Odins (predecessor to the Jetstream) since 1995 and still dive them as primary and secondary reg’s to this day. I have been beyond 200’ and upside down with them and have never felt like I did not have all the air I wanted. If anything, they breath better at depth than they do closer to the surface. At one time, Poseidon was the Regulator of choice of Technical and serious wreck divers and some still dive them to this day.

I can confirm many of the things said above. The hose is proprietary and parts can be difficult to source, your options on finding a Poseidon Tech to service them will also be limited. I think due to these reasons Poseidon is on the decline and my technician who has serviced thousands of them since the 1980s no longer recommends buying them due, to the above issues and that due to changes in technology there are now regulators out there that are equal to or superior than the Poseidon Odin/Jetstream. They are built like tanks. I still have the original storage bags, owner’s manuals, etc for mine. I keep an extra hose in my dive bag for it also. I will soon transition to using them for deco and stage bottles, but wont stop using them altogether until parts can no longer be had.

@TravelGas your technician is full of it. Poseidon no longer includes proprietary hoses with the Jetstream and Xstream models, they include an adapter that allows you to use standard hoses. Parts have not been difficult to source for almost 10 years since they got the new US distributor, you go to DiveGearExpress and get just about any part you want from their website, and while technicians are a bit hard to find just send them to AirTech in Raleigh which is one of the largest regulator repair houses in the country. Many dive shops send their regulators to Airtech for service and the factory trainer for Poseidon is on staff there.

There have been no major leaps in regulator technology since the 1980's/90's and nothing significantly outperforms the Poseidon regulators which is why they are still one of two regulators that have passed the NORSOK test for deep ice diving.

Don't believe some of what you hear and for the love of all that is holy please do not propagate those myths because they are absolutely not true.

How would one get around the service interval reset code requirement, of a Mk6?

Salt Blue who are the US distributors for Poseidon offers an online service class for $500 that would teach you to service poseidon regs and rebreathers. I assume this would come with a code for resetting the service interval clock.

Back
Top Bottom