Any opinions on Backscatter or Reef Photo stores?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've shopped at Backscatters east coast store (formerly Underwater Photo Tech) and have nothing but good things to say about them. Top notch store and they were very helpful.

I shopped at Reef Photo and Video and was happy with them.
Gentle, experienced and with a big warehouse.

Chris

Hate to disagree with the first three folks but my dive buddy had a bad experience with backscatter and if it weren't for the fact he was overly anal about following up on phone conversations with them and then on line orders and even their emails saying things were in stock and had shipped he'd have been without a strobe and a couple other key pieces on our Belize liveaboard a couple weeks ago. I think its crappy when you spend time on the phone to 1) make sure what you want is in stock, 2) make sure what you want will arrive with standard shipping in time for a trip and 3) place the order; only to have to call and find out the order did not get "recorded", some of the items were not in stock and then be charged for expedited shipping in order to get the stuff in time.

Alternately I ordered almost my whole e-pl1 kit from Reef (save for the camera and housing) after much coaching and many phone conversations and I thought they were great. Got a bit of a price break because of the amount of stuff I ordered, it was shipped as items were available (Zen dome for the 7-14 panny lens hadn't been released when I placed my order) and their after sale service has been fantastic.

When it comes to underwater camera equipment you're pretty much paying full retail for stuff and when I do that I expect a helluva lot of customer service and NO ball dropping.

Reef has my business based on the two data points having to do with me or close friends but it does sound that most have had good experience w/ backscatter as well.

I've dealt with both and they both were professional and easy to deal with. With regard to Byte me comment, any business can honk up an order. I know I have looked at my computer inventory and it states something is in the warehouse but the cupboard is in fact bare, it happens.

My husband has dealt a number of times with UW Photo Tech (now Backscatter East) for purchases and service and always been happy with them. Usually no shipping is involved as he just goes there.

+1 for Reef, they took the time to explain what I needed instead of what I wanted when I called. Cost them a little money also.

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering about Backscatter because I've been dealing with them a lot on the phone lately and I've been trying to buy some things that they don't have in stock and don't seem to know when they'll have in stock and it seems like I have to hound them for answers. Sometimes they make me feel like I'm annoying them.

Back
Top Bottom