Any opinions on Alor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- Very healthy soft coral, but not in the rich and colorful variety of Komodo, Raja Ampat, or Wakatobi.

- Lots of little reef fishies, anthias and such, but not much any larger than that.

- Generally clearer water than a lot of Indonesia, but not always.

- Frequent currents, sometimes seriously ripping currents, but not more so than Komodo. But as in Komodo, a good dive guide can/will avoid those currents most of the time.

- Some divers get lucky and see a few pelagics, but don't count on it. We saw none. The exception is that you'll see a lot of dolphins on the surface, and a rare whale, but seeing them during a dive is apparently rare.

- Some unique sites. One example, Clown Valley. A veritable field of anemones as far as you can see. But damn, it was cold there.

- I would consider returning there at some point, but it would not be near the top of my "must do again" Indonesia bucket list. The three areas I listed above would take precedence, for that type of diving. I'm not saying the diving in Alor is not good. It is very good. If you like diving Indonesia, it should be on your list, IMHO. But diving is a crapshoot ... sometimes you hit it right, sometimes not. Some divers say it's the best in Indonesia, but I don't know where they've dived, or when, and what they saw that we didn't, if anything. I personally can't share that opinion of the diving there in general. On the other hand, we dived Cathedral in the mid-morning on a day with clear skies and warm, calm water. Definitely one of the prettiest dives I've ever done.

Attachments

• IMG_2497R.jpg
    IMG_2497R.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
Came back from Alor Eco divers a few days ago and looking to return although I've dived the main spots in Indonesia
It probably doesn't compare to Raja Ampat, but rates high on my list with Komodo, Ambon or Bangka.

First off there will never be another dive boat diving around yours, except for an incredible bad luck. Nothing like Raja Ampat where on some days you'll be able to spot no less than 6 liveaboards on the main Dampier straits spots.
Alor provides a combination of coral dives, walls or slopes (Penida comes here to my mind) and muck dive (typical Ambon bay sort).

Visibility is often exceptional, Before going I thought the blue that was in Alor photo was coming straight out from photoshop bytes, but it is a genuine color indeed. Many would compare with Komodo for the currents and the abundant swarms of anthias fish, Komodo probably provides more coral coverage but Alor dives are very close to the village shores, then you'll most likely spot traditional fishing using bamboo fish traps of spearfishing, this makes great photo ops.

Anemone city or clown valley or whetever it is called provides an exceptional dive, not only for the anemone fields, bit also for the topography on the plateau, hopping from reef crater to another. An additional good thing is that Kalabahi bay is one of the few places where you're almost sure to spot one or two Rhinopias during your muck dives.

Now for the lodging, there are only two dive resorts and two safari boats. I stayed at the most "upmarket" resort, french owned Alor Eco divers which is located on Pantar island in front of Alor, they have small speed boats with no more than 6 divers on each one (the resort is only 7 bungalows), a good beach, a housereef where they'll let you dive unlimitely (good night dives), also nice bungalows with 24h electriity.
I haven't been to the other backpacker resort la Petite Kepa (also french owned) though I've seen their big slow dive boat with a younger crowd. Accoms seems really basic. They also seem more muck oriented, since they're closer to Kalabahi bay than from the good coral or pelagic dives (Bama Wall, Current Alley, etc). Coudl be worth on a budget.

Last edited:
May i add that current is often needed if you want lots of fish/pelagics. I would stay away from dive guides that avoid currents altogether, since this means staying away from the fish too. This holds true for R4, Komodo, Bali and I imagine Alor too...

May i add that current is often needed if you want lots of fish/pelagics. I would stay away from dive guides that avoid currents altogether, since this means staying away from the fish too. This holds true for R4, Komodo, Bali and I imagine Alor too...

There's current, then there's getting blown off the site into a whirlpool as the current goes from dead calm to screaming in the course of about a minute and twelve seconds. If I want to see fish, I prefer the former to the latter. I appreciate a guide who can assist in that respect.

- Frequent currents, sometimes seriously ripping currents, but not more so than Komodo. But as in Komodo, a good dive guide can/will avoid those currents most of the time.

My reply was to your original post mentioning avoiding currents most of the time, not whirlpools.
I agree with you concerning whirlpools and pulsating currents!

I loved Alor, really liked the atmosphere and the diving and the peace and quiet, if you have dived Bangka you will like Alor

Alor is amazing...aside from what others have mentioned, it has top notch muck diving, even not so far behind Lembeh and Ambon...and is probably the most likely place to see a rhinopia beyond Ambon that I've ever been. From a muck standpoing, La Petit Kepa is closest to those sites and I found know them the best. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "backpacker" resort, but it is true it is far more basic than Eco Resort, where I've also stayed and would recommend. As another stated, there are only two other options, and would require staying in Kalabahi. Of the two that operate out of Kalabahi, one I felt was overpriced and unresponsive in emails (the Australian operator) and the other who clearly didn't know at least the muck sites as well as La Petit Kepa (the German operator).

Last edited:
All of the replies above are spot on.
Alor- Great viss, nice corals, some good macro, no other dive boats around.
Definately worth a visit.
I was lucky to see a whale shark swim 5 m below me on a wall dive while i was looking at a Nudi!.

The currents can be crazy, only place i have dived where it went from very calm to strong downcurrent in a matter of seconds.

Back
Top Bottom